Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is It Worth Getting "State Quarters" PCGS Graded?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 791Next Topic  

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  12:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hikerguy62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First, I'm very new to the " Coin World" and looking for some advice on whether to have some coins graded or not.

I inherited some coins recently and decided to start going through some of them. I have approx. 30 quarters that I'll call " State Quarters" (they're from 1999-2016 and have a different design for each state).

When looking at eBay, some sell for a few hundred, but then when looking at the PCGS app, the only pricing they show are for coins in MS (mint state), PR (proof) and SP (specimen) state.

My gut tells me these probably aren't worth much since they're all loose. They look good, but they were just tossed in a bag. I know the lowest fee on the PCGS website is $17 for what they call MODERN VALUE (1965 to date). So I'd want to be pretty confident I can get at least $30 (if not more) to make it worth my time to send any of these in for grading.

Can anyone provide a little guidance on what I should do here? Is it most likely these coins are worth they're face value and I should just spend them (probably on lottery tickets lol)?

Thanks,

Andy
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Forum, Andy!
You've pretty much answered your own question. Unless you have a special one (i.e. error or some such), it is not cost-effective to send State Quarters plucked from circulation off to a TPG.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17393 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It sounds like they have been circulated in which case they are only worth 25 cents each.
Those that you see being sold for a few hundred dollars would be a high grade.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10632 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the assessments above.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75091 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2345 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if those State Quarters been bouncing around loose in a bag it's likely they've picked up marks that will lower their grade far enough to not be worth TPG, but you might isolate the best of each design to keep in a coin tube

hold them by their edges only so you don't leave fingerprints on the surfaces
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hikerguy62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like the general consensus is that getting these graded would be tossing money away. Guess I'll just use them to buy some lottery tickets from time to time then lol

Thanks for all the feedback.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13952 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know the lowest fee on the PCGS website is $17

Well the minimum cost at PCGS may be $17.00 to have graded, you also need to account for TAX applied, registered mail shipping to their site, and the return shipping back to you, plus the cost of packaging.
Generally, the total cost will end up at about $50.00 or more for a single coin.
and the 'business strike' of the State Quarters will not amount to much above face value. So, no, not worth the cost to grade all of them.
Better choice is to get a nice album (Like a Dansco album and fill it up) once fully filled with the coins, you may be able to sell them off at a small profit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
718 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Short Answer: Dont grade modern coins until you know what your doing. Better to play lotto :) You could just look up the quarters on the app or the website https://www.PCGS.com/prices and see what the potential value is for a coin if it graded a certain grade and placed into a graded holder, then compare that value as you stated to the total fees which include also shipping both ways as well as a yearly fee for membership to be able to grade. So generally with modern coins you may notice its only the very top grades that may have enough value (and the coin is uncirculated such as from a sealed roll or bag or mint set) while the other grades are of low value below grading costs, so modern coins can indeed be more like gambling since few will come back in those high grades even if they are uncirculated. Also you can check the census which is how many were graded at a particular grade, in some cases there are 1 or only a few graded at the high priced top grade so that just means its less chance to hit that grade if that is the case. Note that NGC has a lower membership fee while retaining most of the resale value so that is typically a good option when starting out until someone grades regularly with some higher value coins, while Anacs has no membership fee so its a good option for a few coins that dont have high value but with higher value coins they tend to sell for lower prices than NGC or PCGS. Of course if you were looking up coins in general and there are many grades it shows that it may come back as that are above the cost of grading then it can be more worthwhile to do so but this is not typical for modern coins in general.

PS - Proof and Sp (think special finish like a satin finish) coins are found in specially released sets usually and will not be typically found in circulation unless someone happened to have opened a set and dumped it.
Edited by datadragon
12/03/2022 6:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9199 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Andy - you nailed the answers to your own question, reinforced by the members comments above.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1351 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Your inner thoughts seem about right, as you've listed no images to go by, that sending them off would be counter productive after the service and listing/auction fees when selling them. Since they were inherited perhaps an album for them as a remembrance type collection? Just my thoughts.
ANA member - PAN Member - BCCS Member
There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Learn More...
United States
120678 Posts
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2022  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suttodh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion only two. The Wisconsin high and low leaf Die Varieties.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2022  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scott7721 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently received a clad proof 2008 Oklahoma quarter (!) in change. I'm tempted to submit it for its grade, AU-58 DCAM, and then put it on eBay as a Pop. 1 coin. (JK)
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 791Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: