Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Parking Meter Reject Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 599Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
474 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  5:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, I'm an architect as some of you might know, and I'm currently working on a project for our city. I was meeting with the department which handled the parking meters and they had a cup filled with foreign coins that were pulled from the meters. I asked for the cup and they gave it to me. Needless to say, I was pretty excited. So I did a quick gloss over and there were many Canadian quarters and UK 10 pence, etc. I did find one silver Japan 100 Sen, an interesting transit token, a Mexican 10 centavos and what I believe is a quarter blank planchet! Y'all chime in and let me know if it is a blank. No reeds are present.

Edited by jason39305
12/07/2022 6:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
596 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a great haul, Jason!
As for the potential quarter planchet, weight and diameter are needed.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Valued Member
United States
474 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have another quarter planchet in my collection, so I pulled it out to compare. The dimension matches and it has the slight chamfered edge as well. As for the weight, I don't have a scale.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13758 Posts
Learn More...
United States
26052 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The transit token is also collectible. Consider placing that into a 2x2 for safekeeping as well.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice little world coins pickup .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
8747 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great group of coins!

From the pics it looks like a planchet to me.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
74966 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun stuff, thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10563 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love that 100 Yen!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48404 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  04:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight would be helpful, but looks genuine to me. Nice little haul. You should ask them to save all their rejects for you in the future.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
120506 Posts
Learn More...
United States
41790 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm surprised that's all they had.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
See my collecting interest - (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2544 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a type 2 blank planchet to me!
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
838 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2022  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the Japan 100 Yen coin is silver.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 599Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: