Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dansco Or Littleton Albums

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2016  3:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AlmostUncirculated to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
which should I use dansco or littleton albums?

Poll Choices
 Dansco
 Littleton

Learn More...
United States
84230 Posts
Learn More...
United States
14316 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2016  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried Whitman albums at first, but their albums included some coins that I felt should not be in the set, and excluded other coins that I felt should be in the set. I switched to Dansco
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
3464 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2016  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will Littleton get any votes? That's really all that is in question here.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2016  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dansco ... Of corse is my number one album.

I do have a few others, including Littleton albums.

Sometimes it does not hurt to have both.

Or in some cases Littleton might have a certain album
that Dansco doesn't have ... Like my Roman coin album.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9193 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2016  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of my primary collections are Dansco albums and several secondary/ duplicate collections are vintage Library of Coins albums.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2016  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I gotta be the oddball and say CAPs. All of my Lincolns that aren't slabbed (-3) were in AirTites to help retard oxidation, so when I found the CAPS pages and a pretty new blue binder for less than $40, the deal was obvious. Same for my older Jeffersons.

Yes, the airtites are a little expensive, but if you buy them by the case the Lincoln size are 34 cents each. If you have a complete collection and are now upgrading to MS red coins, how much are you spending for each of those coins? Surely you'll want the best price if you sell.

You can see both sides, they are well protected, you can take the capsules out to look or show, and they look really nice.
- About two score and seven+ years ago, I began a Lincoln cent collection. I have all, most in AU or better & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, the Lincoln cent debuted in 1909, and after that it just seemed like a good way to show the evolution of US coinage. Most non-nums to whom I've shown these react with the phrase, "I had no idea!" That alone shows their worth.
- I've completed MS sets of Jeffersons & MS specimens of other 5 nickels; Franklins done. Roosies mostly done. I enjoy hunting for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.
-- If I left my early Washington quarter book at one of y'alls house, please ring me up.
ANA Lifer #: 6565
Learn More...
United States
84230 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2016  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I was collecting red MS Lincoln cents, and not the brown circulated ones that I seem to prefer, then I would likely use the CAPS albums as well.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2016  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlmostUncirculated to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I heard on this forum that Dansco doesn't make pages anymore for current sets like this guy was complaing that his Jefferson nickels didn't have update page 2011 I think.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2016  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If I was collecting red MS Lincoln cents, and not the brown circulated ones that I seem to prefer, then I would likely use the CAPS albums as well.

You know, it's interesting you should mention that; 40-some years ago my Lincolns were brown, circulated, too! Then over time I added some green - which is the opposite of red on the color wheel we had in art class - and they started to turn red!

Wonder if that would work on the 40 year-old muddy brown Ikes I have that are still in mint cello? Suggestions?

Seriously, JBuck, as long as I have your attention, is acetone ok on those types? Will it affect toning in a positive way?
- About two score and seven+ years ago, I began a Lincoln cent collection. I have all, most in AU or better & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, the Lincoln cent debuted in 1909, and after that it just seemed like a good way to show the evolution of US coinage. Most non-nums to whom I've shown these react with the phrase, "I had no idea!" That alone shows their worth.
- I've completed MS sets of Jeffersons & MS specimens of other 5 nickels; Franklins done. Roosies mostly done. I enjoy hunting for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.
-- If I left my early Washington quarter book at one of y'alls house, please ring me up.
ANA Lifer #: 6565
Learn More...
United States
84230 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2016  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Brown plus green equals red. Love it!

Acetone is fine for Ikes. It should not affect proper toning, but do not expect it to remove the white cloudy effects that they typically have.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2016  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlmostUncirculated to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is dansco good for uncirculated sets or should I consider CAPS albums instead? I like the way coins look in a dansco much more then I think look in caps albums though. I have another concern for dansco protection for unc. and proofs
Learn More...
United States
84230 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2016  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no problem putting modern uncirculated and proof coins (1968+) in my Dansco. They are cheap and plentiful. So far they have held up well over 30+ years.

All of my classic coins are circulated and I have no problem with them being in the Dansco. Again, cheap and plentiful, for the most part. The highest priced coin is still south of $150.

I must point out that in the 30+ years I have seen no problems with my coins. However, I have to wonder if this is a frog in the pot scenario. I can imagine that in those years, maybe some new toning or other changes have come. I do not know.

The point is that I would not want to take a chance with a MS-67 RED cent becoming MS-66 RB, so I would probably keep them in CAPS over Dansco.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2016  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlmostUncirculated to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks, jbuck I wish that dansco would add the the 1932-1964 proofs in their album! Since, I nkow you are an expierenced collector do you mind telling me the sets you have completed and the ones you are still completing?
Learn More...
United States
84230 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2016  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Complete (filled) Albums: Eisenhower dollars, Kennedy half dollars (1964-2001), Franklin half dollars, Washington quarters (1932-1998), Roosevelt dimes (1946-2007), Jefferson nickels (1938-2003), and Statehood/DC/Territorial Quarters (1999-2009).

Working albums: 7070 Type Set (three holes), Lincoln Cents (1909-2008, three holes), custom "Indian Head Cent/Buffalo Nickel/Mercury Dime" album (ten holes), custom "Ultra Modern Coin" albums (2009+ cents, 2008+ Dimes, 2004+ nickels, 2002+ Half Dollars), ATB Quarter album.

A date-only Presidential dollar album is on my list for the proof coins (saving it to do all at one time).

I also have several Dansco 7000 albums with 12-pocket 2x2 pages for all of my foreign and miscellaneous coins that do not fit into the ones listed above.

It is a little messy and somewhat disconnected, but I like having those first albums complete. No adding pages, no upgrading to bigger binders.
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2016  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fromms2244 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use both. I like the 20th century type album from Whitman. I use a lot of danscos. Not really picky. They are both nice.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05