Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which Book(S) Should I Get For Starting To Collect Canadian Colonial Coins?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1638 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  9:15 pm Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
while collecting canadian large cents I have managed to accumulate a few colonial coppers and they have sparked an interest and I am afraid that now I want more
i really dont know much about them except that I see them on eBay.
l am looking for books to help me id and price them, but not looking for an in depth study or anything like that,yet.
something similar to Charltons coin books (maybe Charlton already makes the book I need)
thanks again for the help
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Pillar of the Community
United States
795 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add colonialtokens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The current edition of Chartlon's work on Colonial tokens
and
Dr. Haxby's work on Canadian Coins and Tokens published by Whitman's
are a must have.

doug
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2233 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have both, and both are excellent.

Welcome to the club !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1638 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a quick eBay search shows a charlton 9th ed and haxby 1st ed, I assume these are the ones? does the one by haxby show values?
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Pillar of the Community
United States
795 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add colonialtokens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes

doug
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I prefer the Haxby version myself... I think the pictures are much nicer and I like his style of writing...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2233 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haxby's prices are listed in US dollars, from 2012.

A lot has changed in the token market (lower end now selling for less, while the good stuff commanding strong premiums) and of course in 2012 Canada -> US exchange was at par.
So as with any 'guide' it might help identify rarities but values not entirely accurate.

Edited by Wade
02/13/2017 4:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1456 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is some guy name Lorenzo coming out with a new book around May 2017 with a 100 page chapter on Canadian Blacksmiths ... it should shake up a few people. <VVBG>.

Not to worry you will here about it soon enough ...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will CCF members be able to get a signed copy?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1456 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will probably purchase a dozen or so then sell on E-Bay as buy-it-now at same Amazon Price or something. Signed.

Who knows hopefully if still alive I can make Warren Baker proud of these pages. Starting corresponding seriously with Warren on the connection of the COunterfeit 2 Reales and their association with Blacksmiths and BL-15's around 1996 then another numismatic Canadian researcher and giant IMO emerged ... Wayne Jacobs ... he starting corresponding with me shortly thereafter - it was strange and you can quote me ... when Jacobs contacted me INITIALLY in the 1990's he thought Charlton was totally backwards with the Blacksmiths and he told me his comments were never to be printed at the time (in the 1990's) ... as time went on his observations concurred with mine on many things ... I include an Appendix from Gord Nichols and his dismissal of Wood 42, Wood 36 is an English cast retrograde (DELIST IT!) and these are INTENTIONAL George II head left portraits facing this way intentionally BUT with George III caricatures! Start sharpening your PENS ... CANADA. The time has come!
Edited by colonialjohn
02/14/2017 6:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2017  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Save one for me... I'd like to learn a lot more about tokens esp blacksmith tokens
Valued Member
Canada
226 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisCat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisCat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just picked up a copy of Canadian Tokens and Medals, a 1974 anthology by A.D. Hoch. A fantastic reference for early material if you can find one. All kinds of articles by McLachlan, Courteau, Ferguson, Bowman, etc.
Pillar of the Community
United States
795 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add colonialtokens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hoch's Anthology is a tremendous work and highly recommended for
any serious inquiry concerning Canadian Colonial Tokens. But the
query of this thread was for more general basic tools. I have
several copies of Hoch's Anthology.

And Breton's work is also valuable as it includes many tokens not
listed in the aforementioned works. And Dr. Courteau has several
other works not included in Hoch's.

I all depends on how far one wants to dig.

doug
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a nice little book by W.J. (Bill) Stanley off of eBay recently titled "2017 Breton Tokens. It is a compilation of prices achieved for Breton tokens in CAD and some USD. It is not all inclusive but fairly up to date.

Gene
RCNA LM369
CATC 1051
Pillar of the Community
United States
795 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add colonialtokens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1960NYGiants

The 2017 Breton sounds like a worthwhile item.
Many of the Breton's are elusive. I have several
hundred, but they are not my primary interest.

doug
Pillar of the Community
United States
582 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add garys64wildcat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can find a copy of this its a good guide. I got this in 1959 while in high school Helped me start collecting Canadian coins.

A Guide Book
of..

Canadian Coins,
Currency & Tokens

First Edition

Catalogue and Price List from 1700-1959 AD

Copyright 1959 by

Canadian Numismatic Publishing Institute
Winnipeg, Canada

It covers tokens I never heard of before. From all provinces and unlisted tokens etc.

Its has been the best help to me since I got it.
Wish the Prices were the Same as then. Unc 1948 dollar was $90

Gary
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05