Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dollar Coins A Turn-Off

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  1:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have given up on current dollar coins long ago. The edge lettering is a deal breaker for me. The date and MM belong on the obverse or reverse of the coins, not on the edge. And the multiple yearly designs was also a turn-off. There really wasn't a good reason to remove the date and MM from the Sac dollars IMO. I do like the idea of using dollar coins but I am not going to get into that can of worms.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1539 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no fan of the date/MM on the edge either. There are already too many other things cluttering the design of every coin already -- "Liberty", "E Pluribus Unum", "In God We Trust" -- none of them provide the kind of identification that belongs on the face. The annual design identifies the year, but that's it.

Personally, I like the annual designs. What I don't like is how they tone so quickly. They did a good thing by choosing a composition to distinguish from the clad coins (like they should have done with the SBA), but they get so ugly so fast.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4536 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You guys are just scratching the surface. I'm old school. The vast majority of the produce coming out of the United States Mint today are embarrassing to me as an American! I've seen better design and engraving coming out of third world countries. I hope this post makes Mr. Motl's, (Acting Principal Deputy Director U. S. Mint) Monday morning's briefing highlights!
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1817 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint can only produce what Congress authorizes them to produce and some design committee approves.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got fed up for much more petty reasons, yea edge on dates stink, fumbling fathers and Indians aren't inspiring but the REAL reason: Littleton folders didn't have a P & D hole, had to buy two!...then, couldn't get the Philly mints here in Midwest. At first I combined P & D mints but still didn't have hardly any NIFC's, then got rid of the rest, none overAU-58's. Have nicer MS and PF in type set?!!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12049 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well than Congress should be held accountable . Modern Dollars are just another way for the mint to profit from new collectors . You don't even see any Presidential dollar coins in circulation and commerce transactions .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The golden dollars are a joke. How many do they have stored away in warehouses?
Learn More...
United States
79375 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only collect from circulation and proof sets (no mint sets) and I put my coins in Dansco albums.

The dollar coin not circulating means I only ever see them in proof sets.

The dollar coin having edge lettering means I do not need to collect by date and mint mark (cannot differentiate them in the album).

Combine those two things and you now know why I only have a date set album being filled with proofs.
Learn More...
United States
79375 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The golden dollars are a joke. How many do they have stored away in warehouses?
Plenty.

Stop printing the one dollar note and these will circulate.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5099 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Stop printing the one dollar note and these will circulate
Exactly. Here in Australia, we've had only $1 coins since 1984 (and $2 since 1988). Small denomination notes were wearing out too quickly and had to be removed from circulation, so the switch to coins happened.

No real dramas except that the $1 coin is larger than the $2 coin, which is a bit daft IMHO.

Most younger people would not even recognize the $1 & $2 notes if they saw them.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Learn More...
United States
79375 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No real dramas except that the $1 coin is larger than the $2 coin, which is a bit daft IMHO.
I have wondered about that. Noticed it when trout sent me some Aussie mint sets last year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1162 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the presidential and SAC tokens, er, coins, are a flawed design. Like USSID18 (nice handle, by the way), I think most of the coins coming out of the mint are not inspiring. The State and ATB Quarters are really the only exception, IMO. But other countries' mints are really doing the the same now too. A lot just pump out schlock.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5099 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But other countries' mints are really doing the the same now too. A lot just pump out schlock
Sometimes it's difficult to tell the wheat from the chaff.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Pillar of the Community
United States
862 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the Presidential dollars were uninspiring, not sad they are done. I like the Native American dollars better, especially the reverse change every year (one per year is enough). Because of some idiot's stupid decision to put the date and mintmark on the edge, it is the only way to tell which year it is. I bought the coin and currency set last year. The literature says it's minted in San Francisco with an 'S' mintmark. Unless I destroy the packaging, I will never know for sure. I cannot see the edge of the coin through the packaging no matter which angle I try. Edge lettering is a total failure.
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crazyglue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I never could get into any dollar coins. Not even Morgan.
But especially not the Presidential and SAC. I can't decide which is worse. The terrible Presidential coins that look like something you would get as a gas station collectible or the much better SAC dollars with the terrible edge lettering. I can respect Ikes and Peace dollars.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You guys are just scratching the surface. I'm old school. The vast majority of the produce coming out of the United States Mint today are embarrassing to me as an American! I've seen better design and engraving coming out of third world countries. I hope this post makes Mr. Motl's, (Acting Principal Deputy Director U. S. Mint) Monday morning's briefing highlights!

I am in total agreement. Compare our old designs to the majority-junk designs they make nowadays and its not hard to see why the older series are so popular with collectors. There is so little talent in designs nowadays when compared to the old masters, and it should not be this way.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05