Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identify The Problem With The Problem Coin Part 4

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  06:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This sld has 1 problem that prevented it from grading straight. Who can identify it?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14005 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know that I am not very good at these, but yikes, I don't even have a guess on this one. I will sit on the sidelines and try to learn from others.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Australia
238 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fake
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that a repaired area in the right field?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1608 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Old cleaning?
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was gonna say either looks like it was cleaned or looks too good a condition? It's still very detailed for a coin that old.
Edited by Waynoah83
04/29/2018 08:14 am
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or it was toned artificially. Are we under the assumption it's real?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5960 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This dollar has a great strike and would fit handsomely in my 7070. It looks MS to me so it must be cleaned, questionable color or possibly rim filings.
Pillar of the Community
United States
554 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it graffiti in the field on the right?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Either cleaned or repaired, not sure.
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pics are low resolution so it's kind of hard to see the details. The lighting is also dark and it's hard to see what's going on in the picture so I enhanced things. It's a little easier to see the odd tone/coloration in these two pictures:

As other's have said, I definitely agree that there is something going on in the right field on the obverse. To my eye, the detail on the eagle side is stronger than on the obverse. It almost looks like the obverse was lightly whizzed.

The other possibility is it could have just been cleaned and artificially toned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1617 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must be genuine if PCGS holdered it. That's one detailed coin I would love to have! I'd have to guess questionable color.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7585 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Retooled
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tooled right obverse field is my only guess. It's a beautiful coin none the less.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1527 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your image names gave it away, but that's cheating. I was going to guess filed rims, because I couldn't see anything else. The right field did look suspicious as a repair but not suspicious enough for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2018  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After looking at cableguy815's images, I revise my opinion to Artificial Toning.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.18 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05