Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hyvis Motor Oil Advertising Piece

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3717 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  8:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This measures 33mm in diameter. That ostensibly would qualify it to be listed in So-Called Dollars but it isn't included in my 1963 edition.

Here's some info on the company and its promotional campaigns:

http://www.truedetectorist.com/2016...magic-of-oz/

My specimen looks more coppery than brassy, but it may also have been plated or washed.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
05/15/2019 12:38 am
Valued Member
United States
481 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2019  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super cool, crosses over for multiple collectors...
Learn More...
United States
70931 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2444 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am glad that our modern cars and oils are not so fussy.
Edited by oriole
05/15/2019 10:38 am
Learn More...
Australia
13075 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's my understanding that these items were actually functional, rather than purely commemorative/advertising. They were placed under the lid of the sealed drum of oil, in such a way that they would come loose when the seal was broken and the cap was removed, and attempting to replace the cap with the medal still in place would cause the medal to fall out of the cap and drop to the bottom of the oil can. That way, when the purchaser opened their freshly boght drum of oil, they could be reassured that their oil drum had not been tampered with and that they would in fact receive the full volume of oil they had paid for; no-one in the supply chain could siphon off some of the oil from out of the drum prior to their receiving it, without disrupting the seal and removing the medal.

Being exposed to motor oil, either through direct contact with the oil or by the vapours, sometimes for prolonged periods, is the reason why these medals often take on peculiar colours and toning patterns.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had this HyVis token since the early 1960's when I found it in a coin dealer's "junk box".

HyVis Motor Oils Automotive Token
Bronze, 33mm, 11.76gm (might be brass)
Obverse: Mileage Metered HYVIS / Motor Oils / TradeMark Reg
Reverse:
FOR MILEAGE IN 3 FIGURES (UP TO 999 MILES) USE HYVIS 3
FOR MILEAGE IN 4 FIGURES (1,000 TO 9,000) USE HYVIS 4
FOR MILEAGE IN 5 FIGURES (10,000 TO 30,000) USE HYVIS 5
FOR MILEAGES OVER 30,000 USE HYVIS 6

http://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and Coins on Television
The San Francisco 1949 Mexico 1898 Peso Restrike

Edited by willieboyd2
05/16/2019 10:03 pm
Learn More...
United States
70931 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have had this HyVis token since the early 1960's when I found it in a coin dealer's "junk box".
Very nice!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05