Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 D Kennedy Half Dollar Just Sold For $103.50!

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  9:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add silverngoldScott to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

1970 D Kennedy half went for $103.50. It's described as "Choice Uncirculated".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-D-40-...3.l10137.c10

I've been watching 1970 D's and lately they seem to be averaging $20 in this condition. Maybe in the mid-high teens online but factor in shipping.
Any ideas as to why this one got so much?
Pillar of the Community
United States
699 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it's from the great bubba sully?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10838 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obverse is not too shabby but because of the reverse I wouldn't pay more than $15 for it .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9704 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a decent coin but not at $100+!
Pillar of the Community
United States
780 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Machine 20.....It may have been in bubba sullys pocket..other than that I'm dumbfounded...
Learn More...
United States
72310 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6829 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  01:31 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bubba Sully's a great dealer, I don't know why it sold for so much obviously the buyer sees something I don't. But his photos are accurate, his coins are a fair deal most of the time, I'm outbid as often as I win coins from him. He used to have a shop up the road from me, still does the local show circuit.

GreasyFingers - His store is called Bubba Sully's Pocket Change, so ya never know

At Heritage seems recent prices PGCS MS66 around $200+ and I don't think it's going to make a MS66 but I don't grade or look at many coins post 1933. When one factors in the grading fees, it's not a really profitable deal for the gamble IMO. However it is a nice collectible example, and better looking than most I've handled over the decades.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beats me what happened. Just a couple of days ago an NGC ms 65 sold for $50.00. I would have bailed out on this one about $86.99 earlier.
I never met a man I didn't like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didn't like - DeputyMax
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36764 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the great thing about auctions. On any given day...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18060 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This is what is happening that needs to be done to pay for ebay fees, paypal fees, postage, handling, insurance, etc. The coin was probably a dollar but all those fees brought the price up like that.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
4075 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He may have been hoping for a 66, way to many hits on the obv.

Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory Of Those Members Who Left Us Too Soon.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
1876 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hits on both the obv. and more so on the reverse...if they wanted a 66 they ain't gonna get it.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
1651 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a good looking coin.

After a soak in acetone it might go as an NGC MS-65+ PL.

Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5941 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I once asked a buyer why they paid a couple hundred for a common insulator on ebay. They said money was no object to them and that their hobby was the excitement in bidding on ebay. It happens. I would think there is also not always a numismatic reason for auctioned coins.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
05/27/2019 2:45 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12015 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would think there is also not always a numismatic reason for auctioned coins.

That certainly can be true on things that are scare or rarely if ever show up like some world coins, but in this case more than likely the buyer was thinking it's a 66 which if it was would be a steal
Pillar of the Community
United States
6829 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle42 you may be correct, I find they never bid on my auctions though. Very disappointing.

I need more crazy bidders to max out my coin sales that I'm doing to fund some family medical bills (again).
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05