Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are Your Numismatic Goals For 2020?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 96 / Views: 6,248Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
United States
683 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  8:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i just scrolled through the 2019 thread. I found the post I left a year ago re: goals for 2019, and I guess I did fairly well. I acquired a little more gold, and I acquired more silver, but I also plunged into a Lincoln Wheat cent adventure, something I wasn't planning on doing. it just took over.

so, I suppose my goals for 2020 are:

more gold- liberty head, indian head, & modern gold eagles.
more silver- undecided if I want to start a new album of something.
wheaties- capture remaining 12 coins for the album; begin upgrades; acquire CAPS album.

what are your numismatic goals for 2020?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2396 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to finish 3 sets
1) complete the walking liberties only need 8
2) complete the bison nickels 1 page done, 1 page to go
3) complete and upgrade the V nickels , I'm only missing 3 but a few I want to upgrade to full liberty
4) get the 2016 gold Mercury dime
5) get the 2001 silver bison dollars (proof and unc)
6) get a nice IHC ms 62+

That's it, also maybe get a few ASE. I like ASE.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
663 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of My numismatic goals mainly revolve around me expanding my coin 'business', and becoming a more established dealer.

I guess attending more shows and meeting other collectors is one, there are some amazing folks on this forum I'd like to meet, and tbh that's all I can think at the moment but I will try to update this as I start figuring new goals.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3801 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. Finish My Type Set - Filled several challenging holes in 2019 but have a few more to go.
2. Add a quality 1814 Capped Bust Half Dollar to my collection.
3. Try to limit myself to only quality purchases. No more impulse buys.
4. Try to be more active on the forums again. Have been sidetracked by medical issues and other collectables for over a year.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19586 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
4) get the 2016 gold Mercury dime

Don't bother. It is horrible. I've got one and really irritated by the fact that the Mint didn't bother to make it a FSB coin. Actually blurry reverse.
My goals for 2020 are:
1. Stay alive.
2. Get in better shape.
3. Loose weight.
4. Finish many almost completed Albums of coins.
5. Stop accumulating new Albums for coins. Now way to many.
6. Stop going to so many coin shows.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3744 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. Spend far less on coins than I did in 2019. That should be easy since I filled in a lot of gaps in 2019 ... but the remaining gaps are more expensive to fill

2. Acquire more early dated coins (1474-1506) that fit within my existing themes (i.e. avoid "scope creep" into new areas in order to get dates I am missing).

3. Acquire the few missing 16th century dates in my Kingdom of Poland OFEY: 1516, 1553, 1590.

4. Continue to learn.
Edited by tdziemia
12/30/2019 10:20 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1213 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't set any goals this year, and I feel like my collection stagnated as a result, so hopefully writing these out will help!

1. Finish inventorying and photographing collection

2. Avoid impulse buys, i.e. anything that is not on my set lists

3. Buy one Barber dime and one Washington quarter for my sets

4. Buy one ATB mint or proof set to fill the holes in my albums

5. Add one book to my small numismatic library

6. Get another person interested in numismatics
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16936 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same goal as I had in 2017, 2018, and 2019, add at least one more variety to my early date large cent set. So far I have succeeded every year but it is getting tougher. Still need 10 93's, 20 94's, 1 96, and 1 1801.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
7410 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm. Upgrade and fill holes in my type set. I'm pretty basic.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Learn More...
United States
90152 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. Get those last two PCGS Ikes!
2. Fill the last seven core Dansco album holes (7000-3, 7070-2, 8100-2)
3. Start the extended part of the PCGS-Ike set (1990, 2013, 2015)
4. Buy whatever appeals to me from 2020 US Mint offerings (2019 was a record year for me)

Valued Member
Canada
489 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. Get the last two Washington quarters and last Roosevelt dime I need for my albums.
2. Work on getting more Canadian Victorian silver.
3. Continue to build out my Morgan dollar collection that I started this year.
4. Add to my Canadian banknotes.
5. Continue to stoke my older daughter's interest in coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3502 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1797 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make progress on the sets I'm still working on:
* Indian quarter eagles
* Chinese pandas

Get the Apollo commemoratives I'm still missing:
* Half dollars
* Gold half eagles

Fill the holes in my CAPS half dollar album
* Bust half, reeded edge
* 1892 Columbian half

Maybe one piece of graded paper currency

Convince myself to either start or abandon the idea of collecting either:
* Barber halves (CAPS album)
* Standing Liberty quarters (registry set)
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Organize, Organize, Organize!

Complete an inventory of what I already have.

I must commit to not buy Anything new till I'm done with inventory.

If by some miracle I finish organizing and an inventory, then I will choose what I want to keep, and get rid of Everything else.

Hopefully all this work, will also help me lose some weight before my Hawaii trip in May!

When done organizing, I will ask for help in getting rid of my excess!
I've never gotten rid of even a penny I've ever accumulated.
I might be a closet Hoarder
Pillar of the Community
United States
1026 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(1) Educate, Educate, Educate! Since I've gotten into Large Cents a little, I realize I need to really educate myself on the topic. I am going to work on my attribution skills. This means that I'll need to pick up a copy of Grellman's "Attribution Guide for Large Cents" fairly soon. (I was hoping to find a used copy somewhere, but that might not be possible) And, as always, I'll be learning about various other coins as the year goes on too.

(2) I hope to pick up two more Liberty Head Nickels, which will leave me with three left to complete that set. (Those of you who collect Liberty Head Nickels know the three I'm missing )

(3) I'd like to pick up a few examples of Fourth Issues Fractional Currency.

(4) Like many others of you, I want to increase the quality of the coins I'm buying and decrease the impulsiveness of my purchases. I'm finding that I can learn a lot from watching the bidding process rather than participating in the bidding process.

(5) Finally, I hope to continue participating in the forum on a regular basis and hopefully the "quality" of my posts will continue to grow.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3801 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was reviewing my collection today and I notice that the dime section of my type set is rather weak and I don't yet have a decent higher grade Seated Liberty or Barber dime currently and my best Capped Bust Dime is a VF. Will need to be on the lookout for upgrades.
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 96 / Views: 6,248Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05