Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Purchase Dilema What To Do?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
670 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  8:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I won an auction on the 28th for an 1838 Small Stars 10c, NGC VF Details, cleaned. Despite the grade it looked natural, but they are the experts on these things so I can not dispute their findings. Any how, a tracking label was created and it showed "in transit" through USPS with a delivery date of the 1st. This was the information showing on EBAY's status page with no actual USPS number listed as a cross reference. Which is not unusual, in fact my packages have always arrived on time. Until today when I received a cancellation notice from both EBAY and PayPal. Very odd.

So my question is, first, has this happened to anyone else? Second, while not angry I feel as though I should let it go for what it is and not complain. After all, my account was credited so I'm not out anything. For the moment I think I'll leave neutral feedback without being rude like most I've seen. Would that be the way to handle this?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7204 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would ask the seller what happened. Sometimes a seller gets seller's remorse if the auction price is too low. See what kind of a reaction you get. If there was a tracking label, there should be a tracking number, and if the package was received by the post office, you should get it. Not sure how the seller can cancel after you paid, without your permission. Can you post a link to the auction?
Edited by edweather
02/04/2020 9:00 pm
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This was the information showing on EBAY's status page with no actual USPS number listed as a cross reference. Which is not unusual,

This makes no sense neither does the story. Tracking numbers are easily accessible from buyers and sellers on eBay.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3311 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Checking ebay polices, yes a seller can cancel an order, but it counts against them, and if it happens too many times, ebay bans the seller permanently. Also, the buyer can leave feedback.
Russian Federation
35 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did the seller return the money to you or did you request a refund?
In this case, you returned your money back and this is the main thing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4543 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A negative feedback seems in order.
But wait until you get your money back.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5015 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Contact the Seller and ask what happened.

If no reply from the Seller, or his reply is fishy, then resort to Negative feedback.

By the time it gets to this point the Seller has earned any negative feedback you wish to leave.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3242 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If a tracking label was created it generated a Traceable number .
Has to be further to the story , searched Ebay Sold and cannot find the coin?
No need to leave negatives , if you were made whole , just move on!
Edited by Pacificoin
02/04/2020 11:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2144 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2020  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a buyer & seller on eBay. In general I think there needs to be some consideration & fairness between buyer & seller. Nothing wrong with moving on if you were made whole. In the grand scheme of things feedback is almost irrelevant because sellers are not penalized in any way by eBay for getting negatives.

Having said that, under the eBay system the seller is supposed to receive a defect if they are unable and/or unwilling to deliver the item to the buyer. If they get enough defects they lose selling privileges. Most sellers know there is a way to beat the system. When they want to cancel an order they simply check the box that says Buyer Requested. They buyer doesn't get the item they were entitled to and the seller doesn't get a penalty of any sort. That's not how I operate because it's not ethical. I'm not saying that's what happened here especially in light of the tracking issue but who really knows?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2572 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2020  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had it happen twice where the coin purchase was cancelled by seller. Your seller does have a responsibility to communicate to you why the coin order was canceled. In my case, both times the dealer had already sold the coin, and one of the dealers sent me a better coin with the same date and mint.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2020  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most sellers know there is a way to beat the system. When they want to cancel an order they simply check the box that says Buyer Requested. They buyer doesn't get the item they were entitled to and the seller doesn't get a penalty of any sort.

The seller loses money everytime they do that. The paypal fees are never returned to sellers anymore
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16341 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2020  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it showed "in transit" through USPS with a delivery date of the 1st.

Does this mean it showed as in transit ON THE USPS WEBSITE? If it did you should see the number there, and you should be able to have it show detailed information which will tell you if the post office ever actually received it and if actually in transit which post offices or sorting facilities it has passed through. I suspect he just created a shipping label. That would make it show as "in Transit" but a look at the details will show "Label created awaiting package". I've had that happen many times, receive a notification that a package has been shipped but it is just a label and they actually don't drop it off at the post office until several days later. In your case he probably created the label and then changed his mind about selling it.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3466 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2020  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to asking the seller what happened, I'd also keep an eye on his future auctions for a few weeks to see if he ends up re-listing the coin just so I could say "I see what you did there".
Pillar of the Community
United States
2144 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2020  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The seller loses money everytime they do that. The paypal fees are never returned to sellers anymore

That's true but it doesn't stop sellers from cancelling. The fee is 2.9% + 30 cents. That's not a huge barrier to keep someone from cancelling if they can sell for more elsewhere, are not happy with the auction price, and/or are worried about getting a defect.
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2020  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go with your feelings on this one. While you did not get the coin in question, your finances were made whole. These things do happen. I for one find the negative reviews left are most times of little use and childish rants, and that is nothing unique to eBay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2020  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one thing to remember, at least for me, is leaving feedback is there to inform future buyers that this seller is less than stellar. I rarely leave negative feedback but if it's warranted then I will do it to alert future buyers.
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05