Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

NGC Certifies First Known Sacagawea-Presidential Dollar Mule

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 1,432Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
5541 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  09:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a regular buyer whom his Father in law found this in a mixed bag of Presidential dollars and just got it back from NGC. It is an amazing discovery, thought to share it with you.

https://www.NGCcoin.com/news/articl...covery-coin/

Edited by Chase007
01/17/2021 10:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4633 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing that this coin went undiscovered for that amount of time. An amazing find with what I am sure will have at least a six figure premium.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5541 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could see how it circulated undetected until it landed in the hands of a collector.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1292 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing find. Mint employee assisted?
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stunning find! !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4668 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is really cool !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54644 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any sense on the value of this?
Edited by Coinfrog
01/17/2021 7:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6964 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow - what an amazing find!

I can see this coin being in circulation for awhile b/c of how much these coins are not used by the public.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1812 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the features of the horizontal-strike Schuler Presses is the ability to change dies rapidly. I could easily see someone on the production floor glancing at the Presidential reverse die and thinking it was the new 2014 Native American reverse die. Another possibility is that it was at switch-over from one design to the other on that press, and the production floor person getting interrupted during the exchange. That's one of the hazards of never-ending design changes. What surprises me more than the wrong die choice is that QA didn't catch it from the first strikes.
Edited by fortcollins
01/17/2021 9:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So shouldn't there be more out there?

Pillar of the Community
United States
5541 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So shouldn't there be more out there?

I wouldn't be surprised if there are, perhaps need to be discovered. So far this is the only known specimen.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48765 Posts
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a regular buyer whom his Father in law found this in a mixed bag of Presidential dollars and just got it back from NGC.

Not that I don't believe you. When I hear my father-in-law's, cousin's bother's neighbor found this.... I'm skeptical. I'm from New York.

If Rothery is correct and it was mint employee assisted, the guy who submitted it might be the mint employee.

However, if it was mint employee assisted, that coin wouldn't be AU58. I suspect it would have been high mint state!

So I guess I answered my own question. The path that coin took from the mint to the slab seems legit.

When I saw that Nail/Dime "MINT ERROR" years ago, go from the mint to a slab......................well, I'm always skeptical.
Edited by MOS0239
01/18/2021 11:01 am
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt NGC could have been fooled. But doesn't this seam around the coin almost look like one of those machined out magician coins?

Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just saw that. I am curious what the value might be as well. Obviously it's a "best guess" situation at this point. .
Learn More...
United States
95801 Posts
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 1,432Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05