Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Laura Gardin Fraser's Washington Quarter Obverse May Be Used From 2022-25

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 2,361Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
880 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  12:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is quite an interesting turn of events. According to a Coin World article, Laura Gardin Fraser's obverse design for the Washington quarter, first presented 90 years ago, may be used as the common obverse of the 2022-2025 American Women Quarters Program, if Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen adopts the Commission of Fine Arts' and the Citizen's Coinage Advisory Committee's recommendation of the portrait.

Fraser's design was previously used for a 1999 $5 gold commemorative to mark the bicentennial of Washington's death. If Secretary Yellen selects this portrait, Fraser's obverse design will finally grace our quarters, as it almost did back in 1932.

I'm really excited about this and I hope Fraser's portrait is selected.

Edited by SilverRoosevelt
04/24/2021 12:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4963 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like it's pretty likely.
I like the original portrait, but the state/ATB redesign worsened it IMO. I'm ready for a change of pace.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Highly likely with little resistance. Knowing the story behind the selection, the way women were perceived at the time, despite the on going Woman's movement, then Treasury Secretary Andrew W Mellon chose John Flanagan due to being a chauvinist. Which he made no secret of. Although incoming Secretary Ogden L Mills could have over-ridden the decision, he did not. Which I believe those behind the program are aware of, which makes perfect sense as a replacement to the obverse.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6754 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The story of Secretary of the Treasury Mellon's refusal to select Laura Gardin Fraser's design for the 1932 Washington quarter due to his chauvinism is very likely a bit of numismatic myth vs. reality. Fraser's work might have had the backing of the Commission of Fine Arts and the George Washington Bicentennial Commission, but Mellon favored the designs of John Flanagan for the new quarter - and blaming it on chauvinism isn't backed up by the facts.

Mellon served from March 4, 1923 through February 12, 1932 under (successively) Presidents Harding, Coolidge and Hoover. During that time he approved the designs of:

- the 1921 Alabama Statehood Centennial Half Dollar
- the 1922 Grant Centenary Half Dollar and Gold $1
- the 1925 Fort Vancouver Half Dollar
- the 1926 Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollar
- the 1932 George Washington Bicentennial Commission Medal
- the 1928 Hawaiian (European) Discovery Sesquicentennial Half Dollar

All of which were created by female designers - the first five by Laura Gardin Fraser. Such is not the expected behavior of a devoted male chauvinist.

Also, the idea of Mellon being a chauvinist was presented, without a documented source, by Walter Breen in his Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins which was first published in 1987. Though Mr. Breen was an outstanding researcher and terrific author, he is also known to have created false information to support a narrative he wanted to present. The facts suggest the Mellon story might be one of these cases as no contemporary stories about chauvinism driving his selection of the quarter's designs are available. The fact that many have chosen to "run" with Breen's undocumented assertion does not make it true.

For better or worse, Mellon preferred Flanagan's models, as did his successor, Secretary Mills. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder it is said, in this case the eye with the authority to make the final decision preferred something other than Fraser's design.

Personally, I hope the Treasury approves Fraser's design for the obverse of new quarters - it will be a nice change of pace after so many years with basically the same obverse design!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
04/24/2021 3:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I honestly don't much care for the Fraser portrait compared to the current one, BUT I am more than happy to see it adopted just to know that the mint is willing to change the portraits.
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4321 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about a link to this design?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7338 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems - you once again have excelled at educating us on any topic you choose to remark upon, and this one was posted in a forum outside your general wheelhouse.

This goes to show how tremendous your contributions are. Thank you for all that you do to help us.

I say great idea to include the LGF obverse design on our circulating quarters.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
880 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oriole, here's a link to all the obverse design candidates. Fraser's is GW-01.

For those who want to see what the original design 90 years ago was, take a look at this PDF, on page 3.
Edited by SilverRoosevelt
04/24/2021 10:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4963 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SilverRoosevelt, your links both go to the PCGS PDF.
Pillar of the Community
United States
880 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The link is fixed now. It should go to a CoinNews.net article.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6394 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the Quarter will have this new bust?

Learn More...
United States
106468 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a great why to tie the obverse into the four year theme.
Pillar of the Community
United States
880 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the one, muddler!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1347 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it is a great why to tie the obverse into the four year theme.

I've always liked this design, and its history is very apropos for the theme. At the end of the day, it'll just be nice to see a new obverse for our quarters.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4999 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here's hoping for a change on our change
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
1572 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoubleEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would be a nice change.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 2,361Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: