Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1914 Buffalo Nickel You Vs PCGS

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,088Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  11:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just picked this one up, don't have it in hand yet. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it.

Been trying to track down a well struck 1914 for awhile, which is, not surprisingly, difficult. Unlike a majority of the series, the 1914 P is tougher to find well/fully struck. Branch mints for this year are typically better struck.

What say you?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4925 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This amateur thinks the reverse is outstanding, weak strike with the obverse...Let's go with 66/66+.........
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
848 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2021  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not great at grading these but it loves super I will say MS-66
Valued Member
Australia
389 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aragorn says ms66
A man who tells lies merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it.
Edited by echidna
06/02/2021 06:51 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15964 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand well about the 14's being a little weak . I'm at 65+ .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4181 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the minor ticks hold it back to ms-64.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3188 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61567 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-65, possibly 66. A beauty for sure.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10678 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this is a nice 14 buff. at least MS65. I would grade it MS66
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1093 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS65+
Pillar of the Community
United States
8424 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't really tell between MS65 and MS66 I thinks it's closer to MS66 and even a MS67 hopefully for your sake it
s 66 as well. I don't think it gets a + added to it though.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic example, MS65+.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2367 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful bison, MS-65+
Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last weekend I actually saw bison close-up. Was at Yellowstone.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YOWZA!

Three-and-a-half checkmarks on my buy-it-if-you-see-it scale.

Matching early die states. Check. EMDS obverse and reverse, very nearly EDS for both.
High grade. Check. More on that later.
Well struck. Check. The full rachis is visible on the first feather, as well as the second. LIBERTY is very strong for a 1913-14-15 Buff. The date and ribbons are rock solid. The entire reverse is crisp, with sharp peripheral lettering, strong details on the buffalo's legs, sharp eye, horn, tail, and hair detail.
Minimal clashing and die polishing. Half-check. There is evident clashing, but very little die polishing to remove the clashing.

These dies clashed in a very slightly rotated position. The chin/EPU clash has the early stages of the "comb" beneath the chin, and the chin clash is at an angle between PLURIBUS and UNUM. The "LIB" of LIBERTY / right rear leg clash is visible between the "I" and "B" of LIBERTY. The hairline / ground level clash is visible in the hair part and as a light angled line on the forehead, reflecting the slight rotation. The second feather / buffalo's head clash is very slightly misaligned. The neck / buffalo's back clash is very slightly visible as a slightly hairy neck, into the ribbons. As 1914s go, this is a relatively minimal clash. This is a known die pair, and has a few high grade examples online. (There is one 1914 die pair with a crazy clash that left a virtually complete EPU beneath the chin, Most letters are readable on that one.)

Grading: Zero evidence of circulation, fantastic surfaces.

Obverse: Ding on the eyelid, E-W scratch on the calamus of the second feather into the hair, light dings on and above the knot and at the crease of the chin. Solid MS-65/65+ in the real world, but MS-64 to PCGS.

Reverse: Spectacular. Two small E-W dings on the shoulder, small ding on the ground level near the left rear leg. Solid MS-67. Even PCGS would see the reverse as MS-66.

Bourse floor net grade: easy MS-66, possible eye appeal adjustment to MS-66+.

As for PCGS, they have a bias ceiling at MS-64, and likely will full stop net this one at MS-65. If so, grin all the way to the bank. It's better than that. It's a strong CAC candidate.

Fantastic 1914. BTW, the light golden toning should be familiar by now. Thank Wayte Raymond for that!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9995 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Call me crazy but I think I see the top bar of a 3 under the 4 in 1914.
Could this be a 1914/3 ?
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,088Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05