Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Was It That You Learned Late In The Coin Collecting Game.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,060Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
245 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  03:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking to find out what was valuable to know about anything related to coins. I myself I'm in US so for me thats what I'm most curious about. I think it would be good to learn what took years for others to learn and was possibly just a tiny detail overlooked for many years. Maybe it was something that was a hard lesson learned. Please only if you willing to share. I will value any of your responses either way. Thank you.
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collect what makes you happy. Do not have to collect certain coins to make someone else happy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4817 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's important to you today may not be important in the years ahead--and vice-versa. Nothing can short-cut gaining experience and adjusting priorities and likes/dislikes accordingly. Let your gut keep your numismatic interests focused. Ultimately, follow your passion--no one else's.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1900 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't buy something on instinct. Take your time, do the homework, shop around and get the best example you can afford. Not only will you be happier with the purchase but the process is actually a big part of the fun.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3681 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy what you like at a price that you feel comfortable paying. Don't compare your collection to others. Many will have worse, many will have better. Your collection should give you the same joy as some one that has a nicer collection. If it doesn't you aren't collecting what you like.
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quality over quantity.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1160 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To start with the key and semi-key dates if you ever begin a series. Especially those before the dead Presidents. Time is a killer on completion, at which holding off on them means higher prices. Sometimes much higher if it's a tough series like the Seated Liberty dimes I've been on for six years. Thirty-four to go!
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Become an expert in your field.

There will always be a learning curve, steeper in some series than others, but you want to be in a place eventually where you always know more about what you're collecting than the "other guy."

"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And as a corollary to the advice above from Ballyhoo...

Given the opportunity and resources, it's always better to buy one $300 coin than to buy ten $30 coins. Your collection will flourish, and your heirs will be very grateful.

"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Pillar of the Community
United States
914 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
youngmaster, these are all very good, very wise pointers in a general sense and can be applied to about every aspect of coining. I would add to it this:

READ! read EVERYTHING! especially on this site! I learn new stuff everyday just from reading what others post. in between reading things, take the time to READ SOME MORE! LOL, I'm not shouting, just stressing the importance of reading. approach the hobby with a sponge-brain & soak up every drop of info you can manage.

...and take lots of pictures. in this age of unlimited iGadget tech, it has never been easier to photo-document coins, share that info with others & have discussions.

...and help others. you couldn't ask for a better assembly of impassioned coin-heads. we're all here to help & be helped. keep the kindness rolling along steady.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2657 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
really studying/ understanding the series you are interested in really allows for better acquisitions.

An anecdote: early on in my lutheir career, I had the pleasure of getting to know one of the top acoustic guitar builders in the US. He taught be early on that after every step, take a look at the work you just finished doing. If you can honestly look at your work and say "that's the best I can and I'm satisfied with the results" then move on to the next step. If not, do it over.

As others have said, don't rush into a purchase. Doesn't matter if its low grade or high grade, if you are happy with your potential purchase, then go for it. But if you have any hesitation, and know you can do better, hold out.
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow excellent responses I didnt expect this ill be honest but yes this does seem like sound feedback and I'm satisfied with it. Thanks to all!!! My response is, from what I gathered... That theres plenty to choose from and time will be good to you with learning more on what to look for, and in time you will find that gem of gems and repeat. Depending on your interests that is...
Valued Member
United States
443 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It isn't a contest. Be happy with what you like, and don't fall into the comparison trap. Comparison is the thief of joy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9649 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn to identify cleaned coins and don't buy them unless they are being given away.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8761 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never sacrifice quality. Period. Whatever quality is to you. If it's an UNC coin, don't buy a generic example, choose one that has excellent luster, a razor sharp strike and minimal marks for the grade. If circulated, choose one with consistent color, high amount of detail for the grade, a sharp strike, pleasing surface condition, and minimal or no surface marks.

Don't buy problem coins unless they're significantly cheaper and you will never have the impulse to upgrade.

Buy the book before the coin. Study the series, and the individual date/mint.

Learn to grade before getting deeply into anything.

Ask questions!!

Make friends with your local coin dealers, they are an invaluable asset.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9834 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2021  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great topic!

I learned that I bought far too many so-so to nice coins before I realized I should have bought far fewer and should have bought more rare and high grade coins that had better potential.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,060Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05