Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You All Recognize A Fake Morgans?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 228Next Topic  

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  3:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Greg250k to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'd like to hear from you experts on how to tell if a Morgan is a fake. I'm attaching photos of a coin that I know is a fake. I bought it as a fake as a reference. But I'm not really picking out any detail that determines it as a fake. I have not yet weighed it.

Help?

Pillar of the Community
United States
864 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight. Magnetic test. Surface quality (Grainy is bad...) Compare letters / devices to
a genuine coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9832 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the weight is correct the rim of the coin will be noticeably thicker than a genuine coin.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
weight test first, diameter and thickness second and specific gravity third. Other quick options are the tissue test and the ice cube test. Naturally, grainy surfaces, mushy lettering and pimpled fields draw suspect too.
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finer features give fakers fits. Dates and denticles can derail dirty dealers, too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1263 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF, Greg!

Sometimes a fake coin just looks "wrong."

This isn't foolproof, of course - genuine coins can appear "strange," and fake ones can be so good as to look perfectly normal.

Also note that toning, wear, and improper cleaning can all make determining a coin's authenticity difficult. This is why quantitative testing, like weighing, is so important.

Pictures also make identifying fakes more difficult. Not everyone is skilled enough to produce images that show a coin exactly as it appears in hand.

For example, here is a topic I posted a few years back about an 1881 Morgan. One set of pictures made the date look highly suspect, but another image with different lighting made it appear normal. One forum member even asked if the second image was even of the same coin - my so-so photography skills made them appear that much different!

Edited by The Silver Searcher
07/21/2021 7:30 pm
Learn More...
United States
20046 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somehow this coin was struck with both the obv and rev sideways.

Sorry to bust on you a little bit @greg. Seriously though, weight, dimensions (including thickness), specific gravity, attracted to a magnet, and silver alloy are my primary tools for identifying fakes.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greg250k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely see the grain is very different than the real Morgan. And I will have to bring my scale down from the cabin where it's been weighing broadheads and bullets. thanks to all of you for the tips. And no worries about busting on me Spence. That's how I'm figuring out all this Morgan info.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The clashes die reverse is a nice touch.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 228Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05