Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What You Should Have Found By Now But Have Not

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 792Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1190 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  11:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've searched over a hundred thousand coins across many years, but I have never once found a silver dime or silver quarter. Never received one in change either. Indian Head cents, yup, Buffalo nickels, yup, W quarters, yup, silver halves, yup, but no silver dimes or quarters. Feels like I'm the only one.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61759 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is unusual, I'm guessing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5648 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the club. Over the last two decades I found eight or nine silver quarters (in one customer wrapped roll) while searching thousands of rolls over that timeframe. Without that one roll, I'd be batting .000. Have yet to find a silver dime in a roll. Only a few silver halves in a teller's change tray five or six years ago.
Edited by ijn1944
09/10/2021 1:46 pm
Learn More...
United States
105091 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not roll searched in a long time, but I have found something in every denomination: Indian head and wheat cents; Buffalo and War Nickels; silver Barber (one), Mercury, and Roosevelt dimes; silver Washington quarters, silver Franklin and Kennedy half dollars.

Never had any dollar rolls, big or small, so Ike finds.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2371 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Out of curiosity, some questions:

1. Do you always get all of your coins from the same bank(s)?
2. Are the rolls you go through all machine wrapped?
3. Have you ever received a Steel Cent in a machine wrapped roll?
4. What part of the country do you live in?

One reason for this is you may be doing business with banks that get their coins via Coinstar machine bags - provided by whatever vendor(s) services your bank(s). As most of us know, any and all Coinstar bags will be completely devoid of silver Dimes and Quarters (and Halves too, but these aren't often fed into them) as these always are rejected due to the heavier than normal weight.
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Edited by John77
09/10/2021 5:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9363 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I've been lucky, as I've had one silver dime given to me in change across all my vacations and work-related visits to the States (my first was in 1991) and I've had about four 40% Kennedys among the various loose halves I've got from banks. I've also had at least two wheat cents (maybe more). Considering my longest stay in the US was about 2 weeks that's not bad going!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1190 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John77's questions are good ones. I can imagine Coinstar distorting roll finds. My searching has been from all around the country and predates Coinstar. Yes, I've found steel cents, as well as an entire Lincoln set less 6 or 7 toughest dates. Silver dimes and quarters remain elusive though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not found a silver dime either
Pillar of the Community
United States
2371 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  03:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
John77's questions are good ones. I can imagine Coinstar distorting roll finds. My searching has been from all around the country and predates Coinstar. Yes, I've found steel cents, as well as an entire Lincoln set less 6 or 7 toughest dates. Silver dimes and quarters remain elusive though.

Thanks! Your silver dime drought in particular is baffling. I can see the quarters though - those have been a tough pull since I got into the hobby. I like to try to get to the bottom of things
- I've asked so many questions lately about the so-called "coin shortage"... One bank to the next, even within the same bank sometimes, you get different answers.

Interestingly, not too long ago in a group of five or so rolls, I found almost an entire set of 1938-1961 Jeffersons, less all of the key dates other than the 38-S. Every War Nickel other than the '43-D was also included. Proof that "collection dumps" are still happening.

I almost feel bad now with my 450 silver dime hoard I found CRH earlier this year... I've found 17 other silver dimes via CRH this year to date, and also 6 in Coinstar reject bins. That's 473 more silver dimes than I started 2021 with. I've also found 2 silver quarters via limited CRH this year (looking for Ws - I've found 3).
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Edited by John77
09/11/2021 03:31 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
789 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am easily in the 6 digit realm of Lincolns searched but have yet to find a single IHC while roll searching.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
3413 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back when I was a kid, we would find silver dimes and quarters all the time, even spend them at the local store, of course, back then silver coinage was normal
Pillar of the Community
United States
4198 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's really odd. In the time period between 2009 and 2015 I found over 1,000 silver coins from roll hunting. My find rate for silver dimes was 1 per $140. I searched at least $100k.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
4229 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was walking by Wally World ( Walmart) and found a silver dime on the ground.

One day while walking the dog I found 3 wheat cents.

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redneck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IVE found its better to get the bags of coins the banks are sending back than to get the boxes of coins. So if u want a box of pennies instead get a bag. Difference of 25 bucks. Older coins turn up this way and oddly enough alot of foreign coins as well. Banks that have a change machine in the lobby for customers to dump coins into are the better banks to hit for this system of madness. Over the last nine years of roll searching using this method ive found lots of several dimes dateless buffs and a few silver quarters. FOUND JARS OF WHEATIES. A few silver half dollars. By the way banks in very small towns is great for half dollars. About five years ago just on a whim I hit a small town bank and the cashier brought out sandwich bags full of silver half dollars that somebody turned in. Over 300 dollars worth of franklins became mine for face value.
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tencentpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are great tips; I have never gotten bags before, I usually get boxes, but I do find silver dimes in the machine wrapped rolls from the boxes; usually I get 1 silver dime per box ($250); it sounds like I am very lucky, as it seems others here have a tougher time finding silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2371 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those are great tips; I have never gotten bags before, I usually get boxes, but I do find silver dimes in the machine wrapped rolls from the boxes; usually I get 1 silver dime per box ($250); it sounds like I am very lucky, as it seems others here have a tougher time finding silver.

A good rule of thumb is to always ask the tellers to look at their rolls - if they look kind of old-style, you have a better chance. Also, I'm thinking a lot of finding them has to do with geography... and if a lot of the local banks get their coins via Coinstar-affiliated services, you can bet there won't be much of any silver (unless you're searching nickels).
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 792Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05