Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Would You Buy If You Had Exactly $1 Million To Spend On Coins?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 1,795Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
8437 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  6:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Interested in what you would do. Not unlimited $ but a large set budget. Post your want list.

Imagine that you have plenty of money for living expenses and you feel comfortable spending the entire million in coins.
Edited by numismatic student
10/11/2021 7:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4379 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would do the flying Eagle / Indian Head cent (including the 1856) and Dansco 7070 with gold in high MS grades. The rest I would invest in an SP 500 stock index fund.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would collect high grade Flowing hair and Bust dollars. Plus Double Eagles.
It would go fast!
Learn More...
United States
21398 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That sort of budget might get me closer to the terminus of my OFEY collection. On the other hand, if I must purchase US coins (considering where you've chosen to put this thread, then I finish out my cent collection. I haven't totaled up the cost of what I still need, but it's only a few pieces and I'd certainly have quite a bit leftover for some Colonial coinage.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
8437 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Had to google that one. OFEY = One From Each Year. Nice.

If your interest lies in things other than U.S. coins, post your interests. That helps us get to know you a little better.
Edited by numismatic student
10/11/2021 7:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4321 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Imagine that you have plenty of money for living expenses and you feel comfortable spending the entire million in coins.

Ok, I will need to imagine this as I would not spend this much on coins if I had it. I would consider it unbalanced.

So in this fantasy world, I would continue the themes in my current area of collecting, which are many, but allow myself the luxury of getting much higher grades:

1. A wide variety of ancients
2. Thalers
3. Improved type collection of Canada, US and UK.
4. Expand my OFEC (one for every country) collection
5. High grade esthetically pleasing silver medals
6. ETC...

And while I'm at it, just for fun, why not add a few rolls of gold coins? Double eagles sound good, and since I'm Canadian, a roll of the Canadian $5 and $10 gold and a couple of rolls of sovereigns. That would leave about 90% for other coins!
Edited by oriole
10/11/2021 8:00 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16176 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm a million Dollars ; I would set my sights to acquire an MS-67 to MS-68 Wheat cent collection . All dates & mints . With the money left over I would buy up every OBW Wheat cent roll I can find .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
5915 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd donate it all to the Coin Community Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3104 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Upgrade to The 1889-CC IN MS-68+ Should do it !!!!! Thank You, Bland-Allison Act !!!!!!!
Valued Member
United States
316 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goldnugget to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would Buy Gold and Silver Coins from Famous Ship Wrecks, Currently do not own any Escudos, I will take Silver 1/2 Reale / Reale / Cobs / from / Cuba, Spain / Mexico, Peru and other Mints / I Metal Detect for a Hobby and Find these coins at My Major Beach site on the East coast goldnugget
Edited by goldnugget
10/11/2021 9:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3293 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well of course I'd have to upgrade a few Buffalo's in my collection.

Beyond that, I'd do a high grade U.S. Lg. Cent type set. Then maybe some Bust coinage, various denominations.

To follow ijn1944, I'd have to up the CCF contribution as well!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1973 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Early American and Colonial copper, and throw in that set of PanPac commems in their case!!! (I may be a little short...)
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4079 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put the Million in dividend paying investments.
Buy High Grade US Type with the cash flow .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1724 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm...if I HAD TO spend the entire $1,000,000 on US coins, I would assemble a Date Set of Morgan dollars in at least MS64 DMPL condition. Or perhaps I could do a Proof 19th Century US Type Set? But not sure if a million dollars would be enough. A proof Draped Bust dollar is worth $350,000+ easily.
If I could spend it on world coins as well, then I just finish my Dutch coin collection and then see how much I have left for something different (US).
Edited by NumisEd
10/11/2021 10:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2611 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hmm a million Dollars ; I would set my sights to acquire an MS-67 to MS-68 Wheat cent collection . All dates & mints . With the money left over I would buy up every OBW Wheat cent roll I can find .

T-bop, you read my mind (and it's a very short book. LOL)
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8546 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know how much I'd have to spend, but I'd finally get the elusive 1864 Small Motto in proof. (I'd expect somewhere north of $30,000), then I'd rebuild my old 66+ collection of them this time maybe shooting for RB in both business strikes and proof strikes, then I'd go for the patterns of 1836 J54 through J56a also the 1863 J305 through J318 Washington and Shield designs, I'd also love to try for a few of the major errors like the double struck or Capped dies and brokerage examples (though that may be impossible with only a handful known to exist). According to PCGS Marketplace, I'd be out around $175,000 without the error coins or patterns. Let's call it $300,000

Oh and more books, I can think of quite a few I can't justify owning now, as I have them in digital PDFs, I'd prefer to have the real deal. Add in some nice custom built (or antique) shelving for them, with a comfy reading chair, table, new lighting, all built in to my living space.
Say $25,000

With the rest of the money ($650,000) I'd start a decent set of colonial coinage and add in some EAC half and large cents. That alone would take me years to work on, the rest of my life I suppose, but I'd be ultra happy doing it.
I like collecting coin friends as much as the coins themselves in many cases. That is what the ANA, EAC, C4 and NBS are all about. Also attending the Conventions each year to stay up to date with all the members and friends I have in them.

I'd have it all up for auction when my end time came and use the proceeds to build a scholarship for YN's through the ANA and help fund them to attend the Summer Seminars in Colorado Springs over the next few decades.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
10/11/2021 11:02 pm
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 1,795Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: