Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Removing Ugly Toning From Kennedy Halves

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 530Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
155 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  12:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A few years ago I bought a complete set of Kennedy halves online. The ad had poor pictures but the price was right. In general the coins are really nice and choice BU plus. It was put together by someone who knew what they were doing but sold by his heirs.
It is stored in a Whitman Classic album. Some of the coins (especially proofs) have an ugly brown toning on them. I've never had coins do this so I guess it's environmental from where they came from.
Is there anything I can do to remove or arrest the toning and protect the ones that don't have it without damaging the coins? Acetone dip, etc..

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
3598 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photos would help. Acetone won't remove toning, but a quick dip in a silver dip like eZest might remove ugly toning on a mint state coin. But you need to be really careful not to overdip and destroy the underlying luster. As a general rule, if you're not sure how to do it, don't try.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42783 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
21998 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pmi, one thought I have is perhaps you can now greatly slow the toning process by properly storing these coins. Toning seems to be one of those "eye of the beholder" things and there might be someone who find this toning to be attractive. Just a thought anyway.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
6752 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would love to see a few photos. Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64326 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, photos would help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8606 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  09:55 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

E-Z-est (Jewel-Luster) or common silver tarnish dip would do the trick, but over dipping is a real issue, as is proper removal and rinsing. I wouldn't recommend anyone that does not have lots and lots of experience even attempt it.

I've been around coins for almost 4 decades and I don't do it myself, I've tried and every time I've messed it up. So I leave it to others I know can do a decent job.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, C4, & NBS Member, 2˘ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20556 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anything more that just Acetone, I wouldn't bother with. Why take chances. Leave well enough alone.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16502 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely would not use silver dip on your Proof coins . If you must , a short soak in pure acetone may help but it will not remove the ugly brown toning .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
971 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Additionally, if the toning is deep and dark, then eZest may not even remove it completely. I found eZest is good for very light toning and fingerprints.
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets see some pics, I personally prefer toning.
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll try to figure out how to post pics. Thanks for all the help.
Learn More...
United States
108320 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7655 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Practicing with e-Z-est on normal coins can bring a feel for how to use it. Get some common coins with same luster and then experiment and learn.

A literal 1 second dip and immediate (did I say fast?) rinse, then pat dry.
Then take a 2 second dip with anther like coin, then 3 seconds etc. gives a feel for what it takes to overdip a coin and ruin it.

Practicing with common clad is a must for using on clad. Practicing on melt silver (common dates in good shape - find them at a local store) works to help you learn.

The main enemy is wanting instant results so badly that patience is lost. "Just one more second" in the dip mentality (instead of sticking to the plan) can easily mess things up.

Also, despite what is said, you CAN tell a dipped silver coin's luster from one that has not been dipped. When side by side with an undipped coin, the dipped, while still beautiful for since, loses a bit of its natural silver luster. The grading companies will still grade a properly dipped coin.

As to using it on proofs. When I bought my first silver 1974-S Ike from a coin shop, it was foggy in the holder it came in. The owner (very experienced and respected dealer) dipped it and rinsed it to remove the fogginess. I cannot tell the difference from my other never-dipped proof Ikes.

But since there has been a caution mentioned above, practice with impaired proofs. Maybe clad proof coins react differently?

Practice and patience make perfect in this case.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3633 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also, despite what is said, you CAN tell a dipped silver coin's luster from one that has not been dipped. When side by side with an undipped coin, the dipped, while still beautiful for since, loses a bit of its natural silver luster. The grading companies will still grade a properly dipped coin.

I will disagree with this statement every time. I have shown time and time again that a coin that has been dipped properly is NOT easily distinguished from one that hasnt, if it can be at all. If you over do it? Absolutely.

I do agree with everything else folks have said. Practice on impaired coins first.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8606 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will disagree with this statement every time. I have shown time and time again that a coin that has been dipped properly is NOT easily distinguished from one that hasnt, if it can be at all. If you over do it? Absolutely.

Yep my thoughts too, look at some things doctors can do to a coin that is virtually undetectable now says, dipping a coin without being able to tell, is an art, I've seen a few guys that can pull it off, I'm not one of them, so that is why I don't do it.

Not dipping but a quick go through on this coin will show what some are doing now that is scary to me. I uncovered this...

http://goccf.com/t/408671&whichpage=3#3510423
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, C4, & NBS Member, 2˘ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 530Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: