Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 Washington Quarter Unknown Composition/Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 273Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2022  9:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ryanburger16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've never seen any other quarter with this same look so I'm wondering what it could be

This is the quarter in question next to a regular dirty old 1987 quarter
Pillar of the Community
United States
8412 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is nothing unusual about this quarter than cannot be explained by the almost infinite number of variables the surface of a coin can come into contact with and be changed by.Toning from circulation is common.

Weight tolerances are 5.443 to 5.897 so the weight is normal.

Some extra help:
If you want to catch a rainbow trout, you need to know what a rainbow trout is.

The same with coins.

Save Yourself time, effort, and disappointment...don't learn the coin hobby backwards.

Looking for random anomalies on coins and hoping they match up to something collectable will take you a lot more time, wasted effort, and disappointment repeatedly finding out you have nothing but post mint damage or useless Machine Doubling, Die Deterioration, etc.

Spend some initial time at places like error-ref.com, doubleddie.com, varietyvista.com, conecaonline.org, coppercoins.com etc. to find what actual and collectable coin errors look like.

A good way to start is, for instance, separate a bunch of pennies by date. Go to varietyvista.com and, date by date, use the reference there to see what errors are known for that specific coin/mint mark. Look for those specific errors/varieties using the pictures provided. After doing this for awhile you will KNOW what an actual error looks like and not have to waste time on face value and damaged coins.

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46485 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  04:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ryanburger16,
. I see a normal coin,one is just more used.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8048 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  05:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

I see a normal coin - what specifically are you seeing that causes you to believe this is special in some manner?
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ryanburger16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The picture doesn't do it justice but I did notice when looking at the picture that it looks almost as if there was another marking on it before it was stamped into this 1974. There's a few anomalies I see in the "background" I'll point them out with pictures when I get a chance in a little bit. I understand (somewhat) the toning coins get over time but again, of all I've ever come across not one looks like this one. Again pictures don't do it justice so I'll also try to take a better one when I am pointing on the other things I'm seeing but thanks for the answers so far
Pillar of the Community
United States
9322 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the photos posted I see a common '74 quarter. Agree with Earle42.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16252 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you may have is a Die Clash.
Please provide larger pictures of that area.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71609 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal quarter.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
116227 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11023 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 273Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: