Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1986 Quarter, Don't Look Like It Was Worn Out. Opinion Please!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 451Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  10:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dtran3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone! My mom gave me a quarter and it's the weirdest one I've seen yet! It doesn't look like wear and tear or damaged.. because the ring around the quarter is still intact! Let me know what you think!

Best regards,
David

Pillar of the Community
United States
1153 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a dryer coin, several times in fact.
Learn More...
United States
26099 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dtra, first welcome to CCF. Second, interestingly enough, with dryer coins, the rim is often made more pronounced. If you look at the edge though, the reeding should be worn completely smooth.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2022  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I own the most pronounced dryer coin ever. Side-by-side with an unadulterated Philippines 1945-S 50 centavos.

Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
United States
8755 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think I own the most pronounced dryer coin ever. Side-by-side with an unadulterated Philippines 1945-S 50 centavos.

Ever take the link that the words dryer coin take you to on the forum?

There are some thick ones shown there as well including a quarter that is 8.6mm thick.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Edited by Earle42
12/05/2022 12:29 am
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UncleDano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definite dryer coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10182 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dryer coin is explained expertly by Earle42 if you click on the blue link. Worth a read (thanks Earle42)!

I agree, this example by the OP does look indeed like a dryer coin. These are fairly common. We get asked about them several times weekly.

to the CCF!
ça va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9187 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

Nice example of a dryer coin.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13915 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10624 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, dryer coin most likely. Outside chance it was spooned.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4360 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks too good to be a dryer coin. I vote spooned
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75062 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2310 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None of the coins featured in this thread are dryer coins. They are damaged, though. The first was rolled and squeezed in the horizontal plane by a hand-cranked or motor-driven mechanical device. Interior elements were mechanically removed (probably abraded). The second quarter appears to have been spooned. A dryer coin would show the interior design pummeled into mush. The perimeter would show a thin apron of metal covering the peripheral design elements.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Edited by mikediamond
12/05/2022 09:09 am
Learn More...
United States
120643 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2569 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF I'm a little late to the party. As stated above no dryer coins. Hondo your coin has been spooned.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60997 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The longer the ride, the more damage happens.

Just damaged coins now.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 451Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: