Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Share Your Coin Collecting Tips!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 2,714Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2016  06:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After getting a small collection, I sort through them and color code.
Yellow is for silver coins.
Red is rare or low mintage.
Green for needing Verdi Care treatment.
Black for damaged.
Blue is just a place holder for an over sized coin stored elsewhere.
Ink may be applied to the bottom so it is not visible when in it's final tray.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14882 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2016  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool idea for a small to medium size pickup .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2016  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a good idea! If I ever get enough coins to need a filing system, this seems like a great one!
Learn More...
United States
31840 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2016  09:44 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you mean by "16 characters"?
It's 2021, RENEW your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2016  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The topic line requires 20 characters, or it won't post.
Learn More...
United States
31840 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2016  11:24 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, yes, I have been burned by that before!
It's 2021, RENEW your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2016  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nifty idea and one I've never seen used before.
Learn More...
United States
96250 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2016  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Padding the topic title with crap is unacceptable!

We have that in place for a reason.

Seriously, use your head.

I changed the title to something more acceptable and it only took me three seconds.

This is a warning to anyone reading this thread. Next person padding their title with fluff gets locked.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54892 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2016  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chute - So nothing is sorted the usual way, by denomination and series, right?

So what color is a scarce/rare silver coin?

And what color is a damaged silver coin?

And so on.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2016  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been going through all my coins and putting them in new 2x2's... and working on my "cataloging" system as the process goes...

IMO... the "green" ones would get my attention first... I'd give them a good dose of TLC and a new 2x2

Your system is pretty cool though... I like how you can identify some of the coins just from the top view... pretty interesting
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11935 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2016  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting idea. And if it works for you

I pretty much
Dansco albums - first
Then
2x2 boxes - each series or denomination has it's own box
Roll boxes - each series or denomination has it's own box
Slabs - slab boxes
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2016  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was going over a collection I purchased from my local dealer and thinking maybe others might like to see how I do things. As I am unable to attend any shows or club meetings, some of my practices may not be standard for the industry.
I thought I would start a thread on tips, and others might come forth and share their ideas. I even have a few more of my own.
"Tips" seemed like a pretty good title, but the machine said it had to be 20 characters.
Well, maybe it helps to avoid duplication in the titles, or maybe the machine only recognizes a minimum size. I'm not really computer smart, so the real reason escaped me.
And with all the tension and angst in the news, something light hearted and a bit humorous seemed in order. "Tips + 16 Characters" was easy to identify and likely to be remembered.
Now I learn that my chosen title is filled with crap.
And the next tip I had planned to post has little to do with the new title. And likely doesn't describe many of the tips others might have submitted.
I guess I'll just have to learn to use my head.

Coinfrog, this is just a step between someone elses' storage and mine. This new purchase was 1100 coins. It has to be double checked. So far I've found four 6 pence coins marked Denmark. After an evening's work, they go into my "normal" storage. For the most part, I use the Numista system. Countries by alphabet, regime, denomination, then date.
As for the color code, you can do anything you like. I just started grabbing the nearest felt tip markers. In fact you could probably come up with a better system in a very short time. For many coins, they will get an acetone bath and a new 2x2. But a scarce and silver coin could be denoted by making the colored stripe in alternating colors so it looks like a dotted line.
Bear in mind this is just part of my world type coin collection. My US coins are largely filling albums. My specialized collection is mostly slabs in slab trays. Mercury dimes and War Nickels etc. go in tubes.

And for any novice that had made it this far, do not let my numbers discourage or overwhelm you. My foreign coin collection is only a year in the building, and I am on a tight budget. I've had to make some sacrifices and live unlike some of my friends, but the choices have brought me happiness and contentment.

Better go now, I just found a rare bent silver coin that needs Verdi Care.

Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2016  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sympathize on the topic title issue. I've struggled with it as well. One of my first posts here initially had the title, "My First Coin." I thought that was pretty descriptive, but it wasn't long enough. "My first coin buy"--still no. It eventually morphed into "See the Pretty Buffalo" because I started getting silly. The end result was arguably more fluffy than the first. Since "fluff," like "beauty" can be in the eye of the beholder, now I'm nervous about posting new topics. I could be locked out if someone thinks my title is fluffy when I'm just trying to follow the rule!

Back to your filing system... How long have you used it? Obviously you change out holders after the VerdiCare treatment, so then you'd add new colors to the new holder. Do you use other colors to get more specific than "silver" (dimes, quarters, etc.)?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2016  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I've been sorting with the color code system for almost a month now. Prior to that I was strictly a "Butter Tub" man. There are advantages and disadvantages to each system of sorting, and I respect everyone's deeply personal choices in the matter.

I didn't really mean to propose a system so much as a tool that each collector might find useful. Maybe you have coins that were gifts from a family that you want to distinguish. Sometimes I mark duplicates that I keep with the collection but will sell later.
If you want them to show, you can mark the top edge, if not, the bottom.

And remember, get those titles right or.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7004 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2016  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I think your system is a great idea.
I have been doing a lot of variety searching the past three years, and moreso recently, and so have a lot of pieces in 2X2.s

If I came up with a color for RPMs, DDOs, etc, it would make things a lot easier to find. But I am also thinking maybe to use two colors - maybe a dot on the left side of the top edge to note denomination and another color to denote the variety type.

The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2016  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL. Since I seem to have settled on collecting toners, there ARE no duplicates!!

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 2,714Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05