Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Back From The Coin Show (Currency Edition)

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4737 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  5:22 pm Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Spent the day with my son at the annual Bay State Coin Show in Marlborough, MA. As usual, I picked up some currency as well as coins. I'll post the coins in a separate thread once I get them photographed, but here are the notes I picked up.

First off, a semi-rare large-sized Series 1913 $50 Gold certificate to fill a hole in my currency type album:

Next, a pair of Series 1929 "National Currency" notes (a.k.a. Federal Reserve Bank notes), in the hard-to-find denominations of $50 and $100 (also to fill holes in my currency type album):

Next, a couple of very odd error notes, the likes of which I've never seen before:

I bought both of these from a very reputable dealer, so I don't doubt they are real errors. My understanding was that the seals and serial numbers were printed together as part of the third and final printing. The dealer told me, however, that this error occurred as the sheet moved between the third and fourth printing. Does anybody know anything about this?

Finally, a couple of semi-fancy serial numbers just because I'm tired of never finding anything when searching through my wallet and I had a little left over money to spend:

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10057 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stuff, barryg! Those printing errors are always fun, and I like your binary fiver. Your gold cert is in pretty good shape overall I'd say. Nice haul!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2299 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent additions barryg.

Forgive me, but I'm very suspicious of the error notes. I have Fred Bart's Error Guide, and it pictures many third print misalignment errors and none are like yours. And, when I examine the enlarged photos, I swear I can see small traces where the seals and district numbers should have been.
I may be totally wrong, but usually there's a reason why cool error notes like these are not graded and authenticated.

Forth print ? Another term I have yet to hear pertaining to modern US paper money. There can be different stages of the third print, but I've never heard it called a forth print.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4662 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pickups!

The only error I would question would be the 1993 "E" $1 note. It looks suspicious.
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to say that the $50 Gold Cert. is my favorite because it comes complete with its own little mystery -- that signature on the back... T. U. Rupfly or Kupfly? Have fun! The census logs await you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41503 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice lot and congrats. That 1913 $50 GC is a tough one for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice additions Barryg!
And the time spent with your son
is great! Mine still joins me on
occassion to a show when he can.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17536 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent selections throughout. Congratulations.
Pillar of the Community
United States
647 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont have aproblem with the errors.

The fed seal and the treasury seal are both part of the third printing but they are applied by different machines so the shift in just the fed seal and fed numbers is possible. Fakers usually do not also shift the fed nembers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4737 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  10:13 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. That accords with what the dealer explained to me.

(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Learn More...
United States
77437 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4737 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2018  07:16 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you like them!

Pillar of the Community
United States
695 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2018  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Check HoboNickelCarver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add HoboNickelCarver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the Dollar bill error. Very Nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2018  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ron6788 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's possible to have just the block district seal be off, as is the case on barry's $1. This website describes it [http://oldcurrencyvalues.com/Mispri..._Seal_Money/] and goes on to say it can not happen on modern money. When the changeover took place, isn't mentioned. Sample they show:

Good time at the show, barryg, congrats!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41503 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2018  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good link, thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6093 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2018  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very, very nice pick ups, and thanks for sharing the pics with us. I really like that 1913 gold certificate.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05