Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tribute to my Father

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
168 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  12:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add twoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am posting a tribute to my Father, who passed away suddenly on November 7th. He encouraged me in the coin collecting hobby from a young age. I remember him taking me to coin shops on Saturdays when I was 7 or 8 years old, and also remember him buying me my first Charlton guide (I still have it). He would take me to the bank to purchase rolls of coins to search which provided hours of fun, learning about the hobby.

Hopefully someone out there will read this and share a thought of someone who encouraged them in the hobby, or will take the time to pass on their knowledge to a collector as lucky as I was.

Peaceful thoughts to all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  01:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My condolences. Successfully finding a way for fathers and sons to bond is always special. For me and my son, who does not collect, it was golf. Whatever gets you quality time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4590 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  02:45 am  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My condolences twoods..I am very sorry about your father but I am touched to see such a beautiful post about him and his long lasting impression on you with this hobby..that is really great and it will always serve as a memory of him and the good times. My father was never a collector but was happy to take me for coin rolls at the bank and help me learn more as a younger child as well.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 18 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24675 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for your loss.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2381 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  07:47 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very sorry for your loss twoods. I have two good memories from my biological father. I haven't seen him since I was 7 but some of those early memories stuck. First thing I remember is fishing for hours. Something I still enjoy getting out and doing a couple of times a year. The second memory is coin roll hunting Lincoln Cents. I have very vivid memories of finding dates I needed to fill holes. He's still alive someplace as far as I know. I should put forth some effort and find him before he's gone.
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
God bless and comfort you through this time twoods.

Your tribute shows your Dad to be a fine man and a good father. It reminds me very much of the way my Dad always encouraged me in collecting when I was young. My Dad left us in 2010 and I still miss him, but the memories get sweeter all the time. Thanks for the reminder and the encouragement for us to pass that on to the generations after us.
Learn More...
United States
14587 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  08:55 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was also my father that got me interested in coins. He would take me to the monthly coin club meetings, and bring home canvas bags of Lincoln cents to look through. Once, he brought home a bag of silver dollars, but we could not afford to keep them all, so we looked through them, (he) kept the better ones and turned the rest back into the bank. This betrays my age a bit... I now have those silver dollars as my father passed in 1999.
Learn More...
United States
63393 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My condolences.

It appears that you have some fond memories to cherish during your lifetime. Thank you for sharing them.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14802 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My condolences on your loss.
My Grandmother got me started in coin collecting but my Dad was the one that helped me keep it going as a young lad. He was my "banker" with bail out loans when I came up short at coin shops or buying rolls at the bank. Also got to check his pocket change every day when he returned from work.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
506 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dad's are the best. My Dad was not a collector, but he recognized my interest early. He fed me alot of foreign coins in my youth and look at where I am now. Thanks Dad. Missed since 2000. Never forgotten.

My condolences to you twoods. The good is showing through though. .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6080 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please accept my deepest condolences for your father loss.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10487 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Condolences to you and your family.
My son doesn't collect coins but, we bond lots as we are both hunters and do that every chance we get.
True North
Pillar of the Community
Canada
762 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel your loss. My dad passed away 18 months ago. We had a few months warning that his health was rapidly failing. He got me started into coins at about age 12. My interest ebbed and flowed over the years but I got back into it heavily about five years ago. We had fun discussions about coins before he passed, and I learned about how he pulled coins from his paper route money in the early 1940s.

The thing I will remember most though, after one of the sessions of looking at his albums and chatting about the coin collecting hobby, was that he told me to remember it was "just stuff". I think he was trying to say that coin collecting might be fun and was a common bond between us, but do not become obsessed over it or any other material possessions. There are more important things in life.
Valued Member
Canada
168 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you everyone for your kind words and nice thoughts...thanks also TheDollarman, I look forward to getting you some photos of those coins once things return to normal...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2133 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for your loss twoods.

I lost my Dad this year as well. He and I fished a lot, he
was a geologist and taught me a love of rocks, encouraged
me in music and played a mean game of crib. His brother,
my uncle was the one who got me interested in coins.
RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Edited by SilverDon
11/23/2018 09:43 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3061 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am truly sorry for your loss. Always a reminder to me that we are here on this earth for such a short time. It is wonderful that you have a lasting memory of him and coin collecting.

My grandfather gave me an 1857-O Seated dime when I was around 8 or 9 years old. This was in the early 70's. I'd never seen anything like it and it sparked an interest in coins that carries on today. He unfortunately passed on in 1974 when I was 10. I still have that dime.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05