Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These 20$ And 10$ Liberty Head Coins Real?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Malaysia
4 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  04:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kv2009 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, I'm a new member and got these coins from my dad who has been accumulating these for the past 30 years or so. I wanted to make sure if they're real so that I can spend more on quality cases to house them. Any feedback is greatly appreciated for this newbie

Please do tell me if the images aren't clear enough.

Excited to be part of this community.

1893 10$ Liberty Head

1899 10$ Liberty Head

1900 20$ Liberty Head

Bedrock of the Community
United States
28413 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Give it a bit and some members with knowledge on these will chime in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4755 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  07:56 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1900 $20 isn't real IMO, the 1893-S $10 might be real but we need better pics, and the 1899 I'm not sure about.For that I lean more towards fake as well
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39177 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look much too clean for genuine gold coins.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2505 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  10:17 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They look much too clean for genuine gold coins.

WADR what is that supposed to mean? Why can't gold coins from 120-130 years old be clean?
@kv2009 I would suggest that you start with checking the weight of the coins. Gold coins are very commonly copied/counterfeited. The weight is often the easiest place to start. Use a scale that is accurate to a tenth of a gram.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4546 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they are real, they have just been cleaned.

Your best bet is to send them to ANACS for a quick third party grading and authentication.

Good luck!
Malaysia
4 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kv2009 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight for the 1893 ($10) is 17.09g

The 1899 ($10) is 16.69g

The 1900 ($20) is 33.52g
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2505 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Odd that all 3 are slightly overweight. Is your scale properly calibrated?
Although it is possible for coins to be slightly overweight, having a group of 3/3 seems odd to me.
10 Dollar Gold target weight 16.72 grams
20 Dollar Gold target weight 33.44 grams
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15603 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tolerances were TIGHT on these coins (+/- .032 grams) and the planchets were individually weighed. The 1899 is barely within tolerance but the other two are heavy.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
6051 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is some distortion of the pictures - looks like the camera was slightly angled so I think that may be why one of our members said the one is fake?

They look real to me. And I also agree with BigSilver's observation. Calibrate and see what happens.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16247 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gold is particularly difficult to analyze from photos only but I do see a few concerns. Both 10s have wonky denticls, but it's possible that it is only from the light angle.

I'm fairly certain the $20 is bad. The entire design elements of both the obverse and reverse are mushy and soft with some deeper details being particularly indistinct. Additionally, the detail lines that are next to the field do not show the district differentiation normally seen.

I agree with the suggestion that ANACS is a quick and easy way to confirm authenticity.

But I do understand Frogs immediate question of authenticity. Sometimes, after you've seen enough of a date and mint for a given type your first impression is very likely correct.
Edited by moxking
07/16/2019 2:19 pm
Learn More...
United States
74827 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
936 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gut feeling from me is all are fake
Malaysia
4 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kv2009 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all of your replies. All of your concerns are very insightful and it's good to know all the potential red flags that surround these coins. I should've mentioned this before, these coins are confirmed to be solid gold. My dad is a jeweller and took these in as trade-ins for cash by customers (for it's gold value). However, we are unsure whether these are legit coins or decorative gold coins that were used as pendants, as it was kinda fashionable 50 years ago (placed in gold coin holders that enabled them to be looped onto necklaces).
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they are solid gold (24k) then they are fake.
Malaysia
4 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kv2009 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh sorry, what I mean't by solid gold is that they are indeed gold coins of around 90% gold purity (give or take). However, we do not know whether these are gold replicas mean't as decorative pieces or legit mint.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05