Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Damaged Package: What To Do?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 749Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
407 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  4:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was waiting for this coin ( PCGS VG 8 Buffalo 1913 S type 2) to complete my collection; however, this is how the package arrived just about an hour ago. I can see the holder appears damaged inside. It looks burnt. What the heck? Our postal service makes me wonder. Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? Does anyone have a recommendation on what to do.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3728 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like your package fell victim to a battery catching fire in somebody else's package.

Total guess but that's what comes to mind.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3376 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were me, I would contact USPS immediately (since it is Saturday, maybe they have an online form for damaged goods?).

I expect the seller will be able to say "USPS says it was delivered," and of course the seller had nothing to do with this.
Pillar of the Community
5006 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't matter how it happened. Things like this happen. You're probably lucky you actually got the coin. In this case it's not the fault of the sender. Although, he probably has insurance on it. Did you buy it thru eBay? Was the coin itself damaged? How bad do you want the coin? If you went thru eBay, you could probably return it a get your money back.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really want the coin. That, of course, depends on how it looks in hand. Pictures were decent but you know how that goes. I don't blame the seller. I did purchase it through eBay. I haven't opened it because I thought the USPS might raise questions. I suppose I need to open it, though.

Well, I was debating whether or not to crack it out and put in my book. This may answer that.
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5177 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are lucky it showed up.

If it were me I'd: 1)photograph the package and the damage; 2) carefully open the package without destroying the bubble mailer; and 3) remove the slab.

If the slab is secure, undamaged and the coin is ok then count yourself lucky.

If the slab is damaged then contact the Seller and see what he wants you to do.

Edit: Just saw your last pic .... I'd just crack it out and put it in your album and move on. Looks like a very nice coin!
Edited by westernsky
04/04/2020 6:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree- fairly graded. I guess I'll keep it and crack it out. Seller was awesome and offered to refund full price or resubmit to PCGS to reholder since I'm not a member. I'll have to add him to the recommended sellers list.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1843 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perfect!! I would break it out. Its a nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
5006 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Problem solved!

Not that it makes any difference at this point. But just for the heck of it, I would be waiting for that mailman on Monday with that envelope in my hand and ask him......."Any idea what may have happened to this when you delivered it on Saturday?"

Believe me, he'll remember it!
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
Edited by USSID18
04/04/2020 7:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8758 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the bright side, you don't have to struggle over the decision to break out the coin and put it in your album on the other thread. Save the label of course with your album.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
86257 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19315 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.. I'd just crack it out and put it in your album and move on. Looks like a very nice coin!
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16524 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have taken it to the post office UNOPENED, so they can see the condition itwas in when delived and have them witness as it was opened to see if the coin was damaged. That way you have THEM as witnesses that the package was delivered in damaged condition in case filing an insurance claim if needed.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update on this: Initially, I tried to file a claim for a lost/damaged package. When I entered my info and tracking number, I was told that I couldn't file a claim because the package was not insured. Evidently, there is a law/regulation that absolves them from any responsibility if there is no insurance. All they will do is a lost package search.

In my case, this wasn't a problem because I just kept the coin and the seller even offered to send it back to a PCGS.

However, I now see the importance of insurance. I always just figured tracking provided that safeguard. I mean the package was obviously in their possession. I tracked down a mail delivery person in my neighborhood the other day (not the one who delivered it, or so she said), and she claimed it must have been picked up that way because the damage would not have happened in their possession. Really? They would have picked it up like that? The return address was burnt off.

Whenever I have problems with the USPS, it's always a blame game. No one takes responsibility.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2148 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most mail is sorted in an automated process involving multiple conveyor belts. It looks like the package somehow got stuck and the damage is from the belt continuously rubbing on the same spot.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 749Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05