Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1795 Flowing Hair Dollar "Love Token"

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 930Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2483 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  09:35 am Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was searching the Newman Numismatic Portal https://nnp.wustl.edu/ when I found this and wanted to share the image. While it hurts to see a coin like this damaged, I do find the engraving beautiful!

I'd love to know the value of the coin and the condition of the reverse in the year it was modified!

Click on the photo for a larger image
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
4920 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the probable time period it was made, that was a quite a significant creation.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
Canada
165 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A break action shotgun like that does not date anywhere near the 1700's, so it likely is a much later creation. Wikipedia says the first revolver with that sort of action was made patented in 1858!
LRC
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5559 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating piece of artwork.

It would be interesting to know when it was created and what the coin actually looked like BEFORE the alteration.

For all we know the coin could have originally had some crude initials carved on the reverse. Some enterprising individual then bought it, had the reverse planned down, and then had what we see now engraved on it.

As always, it's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3734 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The heyday of love tokens was about 1870-1910. Dollars are rather uncommon; to see this on a 1795 specimen must surely be very rare if not unique. Engraved common date Morgans sell for $100 or so. The age of the host coin plus the quality of the work would make this quite a bit more.
Edited by oriole
09/22/2020 11:19 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51384 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite remarkable, thanks for sharing.
Learn More...
United States
91201 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
191 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sergiomomesso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this love token is absolutely crazy, look at that quality hand engraving... wow, PLUS, got the obverse of the 1795 dollar, crazy combination!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2558 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A break action shotgun like that does not date anywhere near the 1700's, so it likely is a much later creation

Very good point.
A 1795 dollar in the mid-late 1800's should have been given more respect. It is probable that the reverse was damaged enough to warrant a total restart.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7734 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man that's gorgeous !
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
1633 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"I'd love to know the value of the coin and the condition of the reverse in the year it was modified!" - I found some sales of 1795 dollars in the 1871 American Journal of Numismatics. $4.50, "fillet head, fine" 17.00, "fine" 19.00, some others in the 2.00-3.75 range. Can't tell what prices were for flowing hair versus draped bust though.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16978 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "fillet head" was a common name for the draped bust design. The ribbon holding back her hair was called a fillet.

At least it was a common variety, B-5.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2141 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At current prices I'll guess $3000. But the quality of the engraving might push that higher, as folk art. Probably post Civil War, typical of trophy finish from that period.

No one could guess what the reverse looked like. It wasn't as highly valued 100 years ago, so it could have been normal. The surviving population is pretty high.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19691 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great artistic work but now only a damaged coin.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4457 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great artistic work but now only a damaged coin.

My thoughts as well.

First double barrel shotgun was mid-1870's I believe. However, I can not easily tell if that is what the type of shotgun is. It is a nice engraving though.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
1649 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weapon on this token appears to be a percussion breech-loading shotgun. Breech-loaders have been around since the early 19th century and percussion weapons came along prior to the Civil War. It is hard to date this item but likely created during the love token heyday of the mid- to late-eighteenth century?

I personally think this is a wonderful example of the artistry that was applied to these items. Someone with initials CK would have a great treasure if they had this token and I prefer it to the native coin that was likely worn when the token was created. As the old saying goes, "To Each Their Own."
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 930Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05