Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pre 1960 Jefferson Nickels

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 785Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4770 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  10:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So far I have accumulated 4.5 rolls of pre 1960 Jefferson nickels. The bulk of them have come from opening rolls at work, and some were actual roll searches I used to do once in a great while. I just enjoy hoarding them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5283 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever works for you. I had a couple dozen tubes of pre '60 nickels, until last year. In downsizing, I kept only the very best--perhaps 20--and off-loaded the rest. Early date Jeffersons are not too difficult to find in circulation. Came across a couple worn '44 P nickels last month in customer wrapped rolls.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2385 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have about 5 or so rolls worth of pre60s too.
Learn More...
United States
20531 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Whatever works for you

Agreed. I haven't quite gotten rid of my stash of pre-1960 nickels.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7213 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As my forum name implies, I have a LOT of pre-60's nickels.

Although I stopped roll searching 1.5 years ago I have over 5,000 pre-1960 nickels.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Part of the appeal, I think, is that you'll almost never find pre-1965 dimes and quarters in circulation, but you'll still find plenty of pre-1962 nickels and a few Wheaties. Sure, most older Jefferson nickels in circulation are beat up and will never be worth much, but they are fun to find & I keep 'em, too.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15850 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also have hoarded away about 4,000 circulated Jefferson's before 1961 and quite a few Rolls OF AU-BU 1953-1974 PDS .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9947 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The main interest of my collecting was the Jefferson nickel for much the same reason others realized. You could find "old" ones in circulation. Sometimes you find amazing examples. Now that is the most fun part of collecting in my opinion.
These days I have many duplicates of well above average Jeffersons but have moved along the lower graded ones.
My interest in them has waned as far as picking up more and my eyesight prevents me from looking closely at my change like I used to.
The new design has also put me off but it is a bit easier sorting through and finding the older ones I suppose now since the change.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those who grew up with Whitman albums, you'll recall that Vol. 1 for the Jefferson nickel series was 1938-1961. To a kid growing up "back then," circa 1970s, the pre-1962 nickels were "old" and represented a different era.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1941 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was still roll searching nickels heavily, I returned 2 boxes of pre 60's to the bank just because I was accumulating too many. They were just lower grade 40's & 50"s P&D mints. You have alot better chance of finding older stuff searching nickels. My oldest was 1883 with cents.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For many, many years, any pre-1960 nickel I found in change went into a bucket. I don't remember how many I managed to accumulate over the years, probably a few dozen rolls, but when I started getting rid of a lot of miscellaneous stuff in my collection about 3 years ago I decided to just spend them all, except for the wartime nickels...
My accumulation included almost a full roll of well-worn '38's and '39's, but I thought some some folks might get a kick out of finding an 80 year old coin in circulation... It wasn't too long ago I dumped my last remaining roll into my change dish on my dresser, so my mission is about accomplished .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11249 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have probably 300-400 from circulation finds and roll hunting (when I used to do that). I just keep them in a jar. I love that you can still theoretically put a full collection together from circulation (though some are definitely much harder than others). When you come across a War Nickel or a '38 in the wild, it's a lot of fun.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4770 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a 1945-P War Nickel in a roll I opened at work the other night.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I save any Jefferson or other nickels before 1964. They go into a milk can except for the war and better grades.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20368 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazes me how many people save Jefferson nickels in bulk quantities. I just collect the ones I need to fill an Album. As to saving them for profit, I suspect that some would be worth 6 Cents in a few hundred years.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1941 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Amazes me how many people save Jefferson nickels in bulk quantities. I just collect the ones I need to fill an Album. As to saving them for profit, I suspect that some would be worth 6 Cents in a few hundred years.

It should be expected (especially after the design change). Wheaties have been being pulled from circulation for 50-60 years and the mintage figures of a lot of the Jeffersons are substantially lower than the same dated Lincoln.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 785Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05