Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1991 Jefferson Nickel With Questionable P MM And Other "Issues"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 255Next Topic  

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  02:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Frankie20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone. Hope all who celebrate TG had a nice one.
I would appreciate some direction on this one. I like to think that I am learning a thing or two from all of you, but still have trouble with doubling. I apologize right off for the pics, realizing that it hindrance. I recognize that this nickel is the result of a lot of what I think is Die Deterioration? But, I think there might be an area or two that may have legit doubling. This is where I get confused...still. Also, it may not be so easy to see in these pics but the P mm looks like it is on top of something else.
Opinions appreciated. Thank you.&

Learn More...
United States
21920 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@frank, I do see striations in the field near indicative of a tired die. I am struggling though with your pic of the mintmark. Any chance of a more in-focus pic?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
6661 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the Die Deterioration state of the coin. At first glance, the mint mark appears normal, but close-in and sharp photos might clarify if anything is going on. Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42706 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In regards to the mint mark,it isn't a RPM or a OMM. Does that help any?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
7652 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking for random anomalies on coins and hoping they match up to something collectable will take you a lot more time, wasted effort, and disappointment repeatedly finding out you have nothing but post mint damage.

Spend some initial time at places like error-ref.com, doubleddie.com, varietyvista.com, conecaonline.org, coppercoins.com etc. to find what actual and collectable coin errors look like.

A good way to start is, for instance, separate a bunch of pennies by date. Go to varietyvista.com and, date by date, use the reference there to see what errors are known for that specific coin/mint mark. Look for those specific errors/varieties using the pictures provided. After doing this for awhile you will KNOW what an actual error looks like and not have to waste time on face value and damaged coins.&
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As Spence pointed out, the striations (also known as flow lines) which are the thousands of tiny linear lines flowing in the direction towards the rim, are a dead giveaway that the die producing a coin is simply slap wore out. As a result, a worn out die will produce many things on a coin, predominately on Nickels it seems, that can lead you to see things that are sometimes assumed as errors. I don't see any errors on your coin but better pics are always a good idea. Practice on your coin pics and you will no doubt get better and clearer photos before you know it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55373 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die flow lines on the fields tell the story of a wearing die. Keep in mind they will probably polish a coin more than once before they retire the die. Looking at the devices, I'm guessing it was already polished once, and ready for another one at this point. After the third polishing the devices really start to fall apart:

So this die is just about half done in its life span. Several hundreds of the thousands more nickels will be struck with this die.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Frankie20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the instruction. I know you get these same questions over and over from newbies like myself. I do spend a lot of time searching without enough knowledge of differentiating between collectible and big "nothings". I do need to educate myself more. Thanks for the references...and your patience. I'm sure I will still be bugging all of you for help though.&
Pillar of the Community
United States
8125 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's good to continue to ask question as that's how you learn! We really don't mind questions and are happy to help. As mentioned, the various error reference sites are very good, plus don't forget, you can search any topic here on CCF from the text box atop every page here. CCF is your friend; use all our resources and you'll be a pro in no time! Again, ask any questions you might have, we'll help if we can!
ša va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 255Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: