Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has The Unattainability Of The Australian 1930 Penny Put Anyone Else Off Collecting The Series?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 569Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
67 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  02:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add OzLeigh to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've pulled most of the non-key dates from various lots I've noodled over the years but I'm hesitant to go out of my way (and over my budget) to get my hands on decent examples of some of the harder to obtain pennies when I know there is absolutely no possibility of ever completing the series.

I know a lot of sets have their hard to find or expensive dates and what-not but for most of them there is some kind of hope of one day realising the dream of completing them.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
3830 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am happy to collect the series anyway.
Should make an effort soon to get the rest I need (except 1930).
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3899 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't say "absolutely no". Miracles happen (here's one). And of course it also appears that the coin is very available if you have the money, and it "only" requires about $30,000 to acquire - a sum that a non-poor person with enough persistence can actually practically assemble.

In any case, there are other series where some dates have mintages far lower than that ( Barber dimes come to mind), which are nevertheless actively collected. But I do admit that the extreme key probably does stop some collectors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8047 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not really. The Chinese have made sure there are plenty to go around.

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Edited by Earle42
01/29/2022 12:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4228 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not unattainable at all. Just takes a good amount of money .
Pillar of the Community
Australia
749 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not really. The Chinese have made sure there are plenty to go around.

....good one.

I just wasted an hour looking for it but in one of my books from the 1960's the author said no collection is complete without a 1930 Penny and every collector should strive to get one.
Good luck with that as even back then they were unaffordable for 90%+ of the population,Dealers/Investors made sure of that.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3822 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2022  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not at all, unaffordable coins should never defer you collecting the rest. Nothing ventured is nothing gained.

I mean I will never have a 1526 Gold Halfcrown or an Uncirculated 1664 one, but that does not stop me buying a worn 1664 halfcrown.

Same with NZ coins, I have them all except a Waitangi Crown which will cost at least close to $10,000 or more, yet I live in hope.

99.5% of a coin series is better than 0% of it.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1992 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2022  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not at all - I think most of the series that I collect that don't start in the second half of last century have at least one unattainable piece, I collect enough different series that I don't myself being stuck with "only the expensive ones left" any time soon.

There's also the $120 million Powerball on Thursday night if all else fails.
Valued Member
Australia
406 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2022  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have the ambition and funds to collect the full set of Australian pennies, wouldn't the 1930 be the first one you buy, not the last.

Wouldn't a full set including the 1930 go for about the same price of a 1930 penny by itself.

Personally I think the Australian florin set is more worth collecting - not easy but achievable.
Valued Member
Australia
437 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2022  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1930 penny is scarce but not rare.
It has been spruiked up by the dealers over many many years.
Its certainly over-rated compared to some other rare Aussie coins.
It has become an icon rather than a rare coin.
So whats an icon worth ?
Ride due west as the sun sets. Turn left at the Rocky Mountains.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
800 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2022  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can't have just one. To have a complete set you need two (English and Indian obverses). They are the only two that I need to complete the penny set and for that kind of money ($100,000+ the pair in F grade) I'd rather spend on other coins; so my set will likely never be finished. I'm presuming others are like me; if you had a spare 100 grand to spend on coins would you get the 1930s or would you get perhaps dozens of other desirable coins in superior grade? (and 100 grand would get MachinMachinMan a full set of florins in Unc or higher).
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1992 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2022  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if you had a spare 100 grand to spend on coins would you get the 1930s or would you get perhaps dozens of other desirable coins in superior grade

Probably the option that gets me more coins.
Even now I've branched out to collect different countries with much cheaper coins that Australia - if I don't have much money to spend on coins there's always a nice 20th century British coin I can buy for a very modest price.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
749 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2022  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:Probably the option that gets me more coins.[/quote]

Yes,as I posted on the Oz. forum Kerry Packer had the bug for a few years back in the 1970.s,collected a couple of 1930's for payment of a debt and then added a few more.Interesting to see where they are these days.
Also interesting to see if a 1930 penny from the 1970's appreciated more than Gold from that time,and KP had Kilo's salted away in addition to the robbery of his safe.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 569Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: