Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions Wanted On A State Quarter Set I Bought My Son

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
236 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  09:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TMCD75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I contacted my LCS and asked them to put together the State Quarters in silver proofs. They suggested we do the entire quarter collection instead of just the silver proofs. I agreed to that since the cost wasn't outrageous.

I'm giving this to my 7 year old for XMAS, it's in the Dansco albums. I think they are stunning, I've always liked the State Quarters anyway. They caught my attention when I was in my early 20s when they.first came on the scene.

Do you guys think they will appreciate during the next 30-45 years? Remember, my son is only 7.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add snowman24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hopefully he appreciates them and the thought as a gift. Does he know the difference between regular quarters, silver and proofs being only 7.

Even adults have a hard concept on this topic. like money is money attitude or have seen collections spent like they were face value
Pillar of the Community
United States
500 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice gift for your 7 year old son. I really honestly do not think these sets will ever appreciate much beyond where they are now but I think they are a nice part of coin history and have a few sets of them myself.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7142 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  09:35 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May not appreciate much, but he will appreciate them and remember your gift for the rest of his life.
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justinwd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see them gaining much value, but that's a great gift I'm sure he will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7892 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that they will gain much value over the years (remember they made hundreds of millions of them), but I think the State Quarters are a great set and they might make him develop an interest in numismatics.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CLS12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no expert, but I thinks it's a great gift that your son will remember for a long time and could be a gateway for him to catch the collecting bug. In terms of value appreciating I think it could do to being complete with silver proofs. Most non-collectors that caught the collecting bug for this set likely only have p and/or d circulated set. I'd think having them all in a nice album with silver could make it more unique in 40-50-60+ years bc kids will grow up to be teenagers and college kids and start spending those sets their grandparents or parents collected for them and then maybe one day want to recreate the set bc of the original memory. Another factor is that at minimum with inflation silver should at some point peak again... There's allows going to be highs and lows, I don't think we're looking at the high for the next 30 years right now (or hope not). I'd hope that sentimental value will exceed the monetary in this case and your son enjoys this set for a very long time!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1585 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been collecting for 30+ years. My boys and I are putting together the quarter sets together. I'm full aware that the time, gas, Dansco book etc. will cost more than the coins will ever be worth. I don't care. We are making memories. May I suggest buying him an empty book next time and you can experience the excitement of filling in the holes together. I got my son a Wheat cent Dansco. We are down to the few difficult and expensive dates. It has been a lot of fun. Now he is 14 and I'm trying to keep his focus but loosing the battle to girls. Nice gift and happy collecting!!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on buying the quarter set ... For you son.
I hope it helps him develop a interest in coin collecting.

I like State and ATB Quarters ... a lot ... so I may be bias.
And this is just my opinion.

Before the State Quarter program, Washington quarters were a sort
of a dead series. Similar to Roosevelt dimes today. Many collectors
would say they did not want to collect the same design year after year.

The State Quarter program came out and changed collectors thoughts
on Washington quarters, the program also brought many new collectors
to the hobby.

The question is ... Will they increase in value, in the decades to come.
I think no one can predict the future. It would be hard to say if any coins
will increase in value.

As much as I like Washington quarters, I would have to say there are no
real keys to the series. And there have been many sets and rolls saved.

There is a chance these could increase in value with time, but in smaller
amounts, and more so for the higher grade BU coins.

Look at Ike dollars, now nearly 40 years later. At first this was a series
not many collected, with no high priced coins. Now the collector based
for Ike's is growing. We now know some Ike's are harder to find in
higher grades, and some of these high grade Ike's are selling for big
dollars.

This could happen with State Quarters. Cherry picking for high grade
State Quarters could be a good investment in the future.

Again ... Just my opinion
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Henry M Smith to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea!
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
May not appreciate much, but he will appreciate them and remember your gift for the rest of his life

This is an excellent first set for a youngster.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent gift for your son!

The multiple designs are exciting to see all together. Maybe have some fun time with him by asking him to find all the birds he can find etc.

My opinion (note that word)...and I have been known to make mistakes!

I stopped my Washington quarter collection at the beginning of the States program. I saw the mint mimicking Canada's mint in making a new design so often that the "special" designs were no longer anything "special." When the bicentennial coins were made, everyone was wowed by them - even non-collectors - since it was something so out of the ordinary and special to see a different design. Now the Canadian Mint makes so very many new designs of everything that most everything loses value that they sell. I see our mint in the starting stages of this phase.

The States proof silver quarters will retain their value since they are silver. The clad ones will never be worth what they were when put away in the album since our money will always lose value until based on a substantial basis such as gold or silver.

Other than the silver ones, the rest will most likely lose monetary value. But the true value of them will likely increase with age as your son grows older and is able to appreciate what a great gift his Dad gave him

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2435 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice gift for your son as the coins look fantastic. I had looked at getting the entire set of proof silver State Quarters, but I did not see much of an upside in the next 10 years, so I passed.

I do collect the National Park Quarters out of circulation with my 6 year old grand daughter for fun. She likes finding the state on the map and putting the coin into the hole in the map below.

Pillar of the Community
United States
858 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2015  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish you luck in keeping his interest in coins, with all the distractions kids have now days. I myself don't have any children so I'm only speculating, but I say go after something older. I'd try the early Wheats & buffaloes, not getting too expensive while testing the waters. My father wasted lots of money on my nephew, his grandson, who'll probably never have an interest in coin collecting. I remember reading a letter to Numismatic News from a grandmother, who's grand child asked if he could sell her the coin collection that she had invested into annually. Wishing you the best.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
45 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2015  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dp082804 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great gift!
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2016  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sportfanatic1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something I would also consider is getting the America the Beatiful quarters released to date and then have him help in the collection of the remainder of the set. In my opinion, the ATBs are much prettier coins. I also think that they will produce a bit more appreciation in the future. The mintages on the early ones are substantially lower than the states, and so many people were burnt out on special issues after the states that not as many are being hoarded. I think a hiigh grade set of these has the potential to appreciate a fair amount in a few years. Again, just my opinion
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05