Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Project completion! OFEC 1980  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
549 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  12:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add larsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Four years in the making and thanks to inputs from Sap, Medieval, january1may, and wheatiefan, I have finally finished my project of an OFEC collection circa 1980.

I welcome any and all critique!

The entire project can be viewed at:

http://www.larsdog.com/coins/ofec.htm

But if you prefer screen shots, here they are:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1422 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  02:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice job

I love how it's organized. Super labeling.

"Completed Dansco 7070 US type album. Upgrades to come"
http://goccf.com/t/325884

If you SEE a post milestone, 250, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10K+, click below.
http://goccf.com/t/316031#2688706
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23290 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  05:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like quite the project. A BIG congrats on it's completion. What was the hardest coin to acquire and what was the easiest? What coin has the highest value and what coin has the lowest value? What would the retail value be on the set? Inquiring minds want to know
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7834 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing work--well researched and executed!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
768 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great collection! Congratulations!

As a fellow lover of world coins, what was the most interesting or surprising thing you learned while doing your research?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1685 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
larsdog hats of to you. That is a fantastic accomplishment and your presentation is very good. Very impressive.
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA Number: 3178122
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Learn More...
United States
11978 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  08:06 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish my collection was that organized! Nice job!
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done and congratulations!

I love your choice for the USA slot. An excellent decision.
Pillar of the Community
United States
549 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add larsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the kind words, but if anyone takes issue with any of my decisions, feel free to chime in. I was torn on several coins, especially the British Crown dependencies and overseas territories.

So, for your questions:

Quote:
What was the hardest coin to acquire and what was the easiest?

Nothing was terribly difficult to obtain, but finding sources for coins from Cuba and North Korea can sometimes be a challenge depending on U.S. laws at the time. Of course the easiest were the coins I already had from earlier trips to Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean and Europe.

Quote:
What coin has the highest value and what coin has the lowest value?

I probably spent the most on the coin from Palau and second most on the one from Faeroe Islands. The lowest cost would be the West German coin because I had that from a trip to Germany in the 80's and I went back two months ago. I took all my old coins from Germany and dropped them in a tip jar since they can turn them in at the bank for Euros. I would have dropped the coin in this collection into the tip jar as well, so it was free. As far as lowest value, that's hard to say. Some obsolete coins have no financial value but do have a numismatic value. I'm not sure how to answer that. The Mexican coin I got in the 1980's prior to the 1000:1 reform, so it's pretty much worthless.

Quote:
What would the retail value be on the set?

I didn't keep track, but figure $60 for the Dansco binders, slipcases and pages, about $5 for mounts, staples, card stock, and ink (plus another $3 because I had to redo a lot of stuff as I went along), and the cost of the coins. I'm just guessing, but probably about $700 total for all the coins, so $768 retail value would be close. However, I probably spent at least $250 in postage costs, so the more coins you already have or can buy without paying shipping the cheaper you can do it.

Quote:
What was the most interesting or surprising thing you learned while doing your research?

There were three things that stood out:

1. The Faeroe Islands coin issued during WWII because the rest of Denmark was occupied
2. The fact that Namibia was in the Atlas because it was assumed that the UN plan would go into effect and Namibia would become independent, but the war lasted another 10 years
3. The idea of collecting pre-invasion Baltic coins. Those coins would have been obsolete in 1980, but I visited Estonia about 6 weeks ago and learned about how everyone seemed to have an Estonian flag hidden away even though they were outlawed by the Soviets, so I imagine a lot of old coins were also kept around as keepsakes. Who knows, maybe some folks used them for pocket coins! It would be fun to learn more about the Baltics and the role old coins played, if any.

Quote:
I love your choice for the USA slot. An excellent decision.

Thanks! I wanted to highlight the effort to re-introduce dollar coins in the US during the 70s.

Lars
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1098 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VERY well-done, Lars. An accomplishment in which to take pride. Thank you for sharing with us.
Still gathering small piles of copper and silver.
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2018  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks! I wanted to highlight the effort to re-introduce dollar coins in the US during the 70s.
Well done.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5382 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2018  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Truly an a amazing set, a wonderful presentation of them, and definitely a project anyone should feel proud to have researched so well and accomplished. Thanks for sharing it with us. I enjoyed looking at the diversity of the designs (you accidentally posted the Kuwait page twice).

This from a collector who takes little notice of foreign coins
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
495 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2018  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice collection and well presented. congrats on its completion!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5024 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2018  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an excellent project, and so clean and well-organized too!
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2018  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave M to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice job, congrats on the completion!

One teeny nit. On the first line of the text description above... grammatically something is different *from* something else, not different *than* something else.
Pillar of the Community
United States
549 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2018  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add larsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you accidentally posted the Kuwait page twice

Sorry about that! I tried to delete the duplicate but I wasn't allowed to change the page more than 24 hours after posting.

Quote:
something is different *from* something else, not different *than* something else

Good point. I'll put a post-it note on that page and change it next time I print it. I have already photoshopped the electronic version at http://www.larsdog.com/coins/pages/OFEC01a.htm

Thanks!

Lars
Edited by larsdog
08/15/2018 4:30 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05