Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Building A 50 Coin Classic Commemorative Type Registry Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 449Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  7:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - There are few classic United States sets as diverse, exciting, and challenging as the Silver Commemoratives 50-Piece Type Set, Circulation Strikes (1892-1954), a popular collecting objective one can achieve on the PCGS Set Registry. This set encompasses 48 silver half dollars, one silver quarter, and one silver dollar that were struck by the United States Mint during the late 19th through mid-20th century with special designs and issued to commemorate important landmarks, historical figures, and significant events.

Variety is the Spice of this Collection
The sensational set includes an extraordinary array of designs honoring various people, places, and things ranging from legendary figures like frontiersman Daniel Boone and President Ulysses S. Grant to landmarks and events such as the United States Sesquicentennial (150th anniversary), the Old Spanish Trail, and Lewis and Clark Expedition. Yet, this rundown barely scrapes the surface when it comes to what the Classic Silver Commemorative Coin program covers.

Here's a look at the design types this set includes:

1893 25C Isabella
1900 $1 Lafayette
1921 50C Alabama
1936 50C Albany
1937 50C Antietam
1935-39 50C Arkansas
1936-S 50C Bay Bridge
1934-38 50C Boone
1936 50C Bridgeport
1925-S 50C California
1936 50C Cincinnati
1936 50C Cleveland
1936 50C Columbia
1892-93 50C Columbian
1935 50C Connecticut
1936 50C Delaware
1936 50C Elgin
1936 50C Gettysburg
1922 50C Grant
1928 50C Hawaiian
1935 50C Hudson
1924 50C Huguenot
1946 50C Iowa
1925 50C Lexington
1918 50C Lincoln
1936 50C Long Island
1936 50C Lynchburg
1920 50C Maine
1934 50C Maryland
1921 50C Missouri
1923-S 50C Monroe
1938 50C New Rochelle
1936 50C Norfolk
1926-39 50C Oregon
1915 50C Panama-Pacific
1920-21 50C Pilgrim
1936 50C Rhode Island
1937 50C Roanoke
1936 50C Robinson
1935-36 50C San Diego
1926 50C Sesquicentennial
1935 50C Spanish Trail
1925 50C Stone Mountain
1934-38 50C Texas
1925 50C Vancouver
1927 50C Vermont
1936 50C Wisconsin
1936 50C York

Read the Entire Article
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59376 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A tough challenge for sure, but hugely more rewarding than assembling today's gigantic, vaguely-defined and open-ended commemorative set, which now devours so many denominations. Just my opinion.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the bottom of the expanded article, they discuss the following pricing generalities. With this in mind, in early 2019 I started putting together a Registry set shown in the hotlink below their pricing comments. Bold is by me:

In fact, some Classic Commemorative Half Dollars sell today for as little as 10% of their 1989 highs, and most can be purchased for between 20% and 35% of their late-'80s prices.

This does not mean prices won't decline further, but in recent years prices for many commemorative coins seem to have stabilized following decreases in the 1990s. Nobody has a crystal ball to tell if prices will increase in the future should interest in commemoratives increase. But for those who want to capitalize on building a fantastic assemblage of scarce, interesting coins at seemingly fortuitous price levels, the Silver Commemoratives 50-Piece Type Set, Circulation Strikes (1892-1954) Registry Set is well worth a look.

Here's the Digital Album of my Registry 50 Coin Classic Silver Commem Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/u-...album/189058

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
05/31/2021 07:59 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2021  01:36 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only need another 48 and I'll have them all!
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7159 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2021  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Winesteven - I enjoy the photos of your lovely CAC type set, and salute your collecting accomplishment. You can find mine 2 behind yours as Chesapeake Collection.

I pursued the 50-coin MS type set between the years 2009 and 2012. Much of that chase was documented here at CCF with the final coin being a lovely MS66/CAC Cincinnati.

As I was nearing the completion of the type set I came across a well worn Stone Mountain at a show and, well, the rest is history.

I took 8 or 9 years but I finally completed another 50 coin type set, all PCGS certified and all in circulated state. To the best of my knowledge no-one else has completed both type sets in PCGS problem free stats.

There was (and remains) tremendous collecting challenge in finding honestly circulated examples of these coins which, generally, were not intended for circulation.

There is a long running CCF thread documenting my journey chasing circulated examples.

Along the way I've met a lot of collectors and make some real collecting friends - amongst them commems who truly is the expert on the series.

About the pricing comment:

I have not dabbled with upgrades for my MS set since I finished it in 2012. I recently reevaluated the current value of those coins (all PCGS MS/CAC) and I'm 40% down over what I paid at time of acquisition.

Rather then be discouraged (this is a hobby, not a business) it has incentivized me to plan for several upgrades. I'll hopefully be active again showing my CCF friends some new commemorative coins!

No question that the classic silver commemorative set has brought me great collecting joy and I commend the pursuit to each of you.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3533 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2021  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I only need another 48 and I'll have them all!
Same!

I don't actually see them very often, and when I do see them they're almost always far above my budget. The price climbs with the rising silver values as well. I managed to get two in the last few months but probably won't catch any more anytime soon.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nickelsearcher - Wow! What you have accomplsihed is so VERY special! As you correctly point out, these coins were not intended for circulation, so finding NICE circulated commems is so very difficult!

While the time period that your MS set was put together had prices higher than now, it is what it is, and as you clearly indicate, we're in this for the FUN and enjoyment, and both you and I have been rewarded for that. As you indicate, you can now find upgrades at pricing less than it was a decade ago! Fortunately, the spread in pricing between commems with CAC's vs. those without CAC's is not large at all.

I just took a look at your MS set. GORGEOUS! Unlike the majority of collectors who prefer toned coins (perhaps to prove "originality"), you and I are in that large but silent group who prefers our silver to look like it was made yesterday, as the designors envisioned for these coins to look. Yes, in all likelihood at some point they were dipped, but apparently they were dipped gently enough to still merit the CAC stickers. This allows the full brilliant luster hidden underneath the "skin" to come alive and show its beauty - just like Cinderella!

Happy Hunting!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
05/31/2021 08:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3654 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2021  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@winesteven and @nickelsearcher

I just come here to look at beautiful coins! And you 2 sure don't disappoint.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 449Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05