Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Dangerous Are Gmm's As Counterfeits?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,713Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2022  3:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Latest to come through a Dealer's shop is this 1796 "quarter"; pretty obvious once you compare it to a known Galley Mint example:

Others I have images of include this "1793 large cent",

a 1787 Fugio,

a very rare 1786 New Jersey,

and a 1796 $2.5 gold piece that found its way into a genuine TPG holder!

I actually wrote a Coin Week article on that one at https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/f...arter-eagle/

Best, Jack.

Edited by burfle23
10/15/2022 3:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2022  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Calling NTC a "genuine" TPG is being really generous of you. GMM copies have turned up off and on on ebay in very worn condition (enough to get rid of the COPY stamp) for years now. One has to be very careful in looking at low grade examples of any early coins that GMM made copies of.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2022  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One in my collection; this one was also for sale on the Bay but from a known good seller; countermarked to try to hide the truth:

Edited by burfle23
10/15/2022 7:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2627 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2022  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The AC counterstamped one cracked me up.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75184 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2022  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful collection, thanks for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1250 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2022  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting!
Pillar of the Community
United States
788 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2022  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, crimminal, trying to hide the copy stamp.
Edited by livingwater
10/16/2022 10:44 am
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2022  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And another recent!

And a second previously listed on the Bay:

Edited by burfle23
10/16/2022 3:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
748 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is one I bought a couple years ago. I bought it as part of a bulk lot on ebay from a reputable dealer.

I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
557 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting to me that the ghosting of COPY is still visible on all of them except for the counterstamp AC slapped over top of it. Arguably that would suggest that these aren't too dangerous, a solid look at it and you can still read COPY off most of them even after the damage. Since they're copying rare pieces, the price tag they would be trying to go for would hopefully get someone to stop and look closely at the details.
Pillar of the Community
United States
748 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my Half Cent fooled a room of 30 people at the eac convention this year. they are quite deceptive.

there is a story about a very knowledgable large cent expert who was convinced he was involved in the discovery of a new variety of 1793 cent. traveled to see the coin. wrote up some articles. turned out to be a weathered gmm.

they have made it into slabs.

the most expert of experts, the tpgs and many advanced collectors have been fooled by them.

copies exist without the copy punch. it was applied after striking.
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
723 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
intresting specimens.... thanks for the read.
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 1793 even has an impressed edge; just need to work on that pesky "COPY"...

Edited by burfle23
11/30/2022 08:31 am
Learn More...
United States
120727 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
9454 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many of the coins that show significant detail don't seem that convincing. The 1793 wreath cent in your collection seems very crudely executed. The 1793 Half Cent seems to have an oddly curved up, smile-shaped fraction divider. The really worn down coins are more convincing.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com
Let me build your coin e-commerce website: https://nummumcoins.com/ur-site/
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Learn More...
United States
120727 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2022  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The really worn down coins are more convincing.
Indeed. And that is a real danger for less educated buyers.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,713Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: